You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD, 1x, 2x, 3x with raster images?

if I create a piece of art including some raster image, intended for the web and I am ready to export to 1x, 2x and 3x, does AD  "know" or draw from the source image in the Finder when it exports, or does it use the placed art as the source for pixel density?

What I am thinking about is that raster art needs to have enough resolution for the 3X and 2X versions, so it almost makes me think I should work down...work at 3X, then export 2x and 1x

making any sense? can anyone shine a light on this for me or for others?

• Staff

Hi VectorCat,

The document presets try to help you with creating the right document, but they obviously won't always be right for your specific needs. Basically, first start by using the current beta version (which will be released as an update in the Mac App Store hopefully this week) and make a document using points as its unit type. Now choose your dpi - if you're after 3x assets then you need to pretend your dpi is 72*3 (which you can enter as a formula in the text field or just simply enter as 216 dpi) now when you make your document you'll have the right number of pixels in any raster painting you do for your @3x output so you will never invent data... The numbers you see in the program will now be points, not pixels, but that's the way Apple works and is the advice they give in their documentation.

Hope that helps,

Matt

OK..so I think of my document as 216 dpi, any placed raster images must come in at the 3x size, and I scale them down to what I need for 1x, so that upon exporting 1x, 2x, 3x each resulting graphic will have the pixel density needed for that size?

• Staff

If you are, for example, creating an icon which you want to be 256x256 pixels in the 1x version, then just make sure your document is set to 256x256 points and 216 dpi then you can design in points and not concern yourself with the pixels. Any images that you bring into the program and place on your document must be placed at a minimum of 216 dpi in order for there to be enough data in them. When you go the Export Persona and tick the 2x and 3x buttons it will alert you to any objects which do not have sufficient resolution for a 2x or 3x export...