You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy image from PDF to Photoshop is ALWAYS low res?

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

If I delete everything(!) of your PDF within Publisher except the image in question (this makes sense, because of many weird masks), then unembed it, it will be saved as a tif  with 1239 x 1845 px, 96 dpi(!)

The screenshot above shows 300dpi but the actual pixel resolution is exactly the same as what mac_heibu reported.

That DPI setting doesn't really mean anything in terms of data being lost - it is just metadata that helps the software determine how big to make it by default when printing it or putting it onto some other document.  Without having checked, APub might be using a default DPI setting from the document or calculating it based on how big the image is on the page vs. the number of pixels...  too many possibilities there, but all of the pixels appear to be present so it isn't really a big deal.

You could do the experiment of making it a different size on the page in publisher to see if the same DPI results when exporting, but otherwise someone from the Affinity team would need to speak to where that is coming from if you really care about that for some reason.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Is the actual pixel size of the image changing or only the DPI setting?

When copying from Infinity Publisher and pasting into Photoshop, Photoshop creates a window to place the file from the original size it has been used within the file copied from. With images from other software the window created by Photoshop would be 300dpi, but the image is lower resolution - from what has been explained to me that would be 96dpi±

You can see comparison here in screenshot - left is hi-res in Publisher - right hand is image copied into Photoshop from Publisher.

IMAGE ISSUE.jpg

I don't have the issue you are showing. But it may be due to PS making it into a smart Object versus just an image. Smart Objects use a lower-res preview (if I recall properly). Try exporting as a PDF or a TIFF from PS and see if the image looks correct.

fwiw, I never copy/paste. If this needs to be a linked image, try using the Resource manager to make it a linked file.

Mike

That is curious... Photoshop in that screenshot shows the image as being at 50% yet it does appear to be scaling it up rather than down.  Not sure how the whole "vector smart object" comes into play when this started off as a raster image...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.