You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

dots in filenames don't work

I'm asked to produce screenshots with the following naming convention: iphone_5.5_screen_1.jpg  The dot in 5.5 seems to breaking the export. I get 'iphone_5.jpg' 

In a previous beta update it was stated that all characters were valid expect for / and :  Is this an easy fix to allow the use of . ?

Cheers

• Staff

Hi Malcolm,

It would be an easy change - but I'm surprised that it didn't just produce "iPhone_5_5_screen_1.jpg" or something similar - replacing the '.' with a valid character. I'm not sure, but I think that not all filesystems would be happy with multiple dots in filenames? It's been such a long time now since I've used Windows I can't quite remember!?! :S

EDIT: Actually, I've just tried it in my current Designer Beta version and when I click Export on the slice I get the following dialog indicating that the name is going to export exactly as you would expect:

post-5-0-34162200-1427271344_thumb.png

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry Matt, I should have been more specific.

It's when exporting using the 'export selected' option - when it automatically adds the filename from the slice - if you exported with the export name dialog it's fine. 

...If the Mac OS allows a . I should be able to use it, I wouldn't want to be restricted because some 2nd rate Microsoft effort of an operating system can't deal with it  :P  (btw not trying to start an OS war here, some of my favourite apps run on windows).

• Staff

Thanks for that Malcolm. Yes, you're right, there's a problem with that function - it seems to remove everything after and including the final '.' in the name - which is clearly wrong... I'll sort that out asap, sorry. It's interesting that clicking the export button on the item itself doesn't go through this (broken) logic!?!? *sigh*

Thanks again,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm actually running into the exact same issue when exporting slices with dots in their names and clicking "Export Selected" from the slices tab.

Using the latest 1.2 version of Designer, updated via the AppleStore last week.

I have several slices named: 01.01, 01.02, 01.03, ... , 01.08 with two slices named 01_www and 01_twitter.

When export them individually with "Click to export single item" on the slice, it works and exports the files as a PNG with the dot in the filename.

When exporting all selected slices however it exports the first one as 01.png and 01_www.png and 01_twitter.png but none of the others, and they are all selected slices for export.

So it looks like it's truncating all slices with a dot in the name and actually doesn't export past the first slice. Slice 01.01 is the only one that gets exported as 01.png. Slices 01.02 and following do not get exported at all.

I have just tried and taking the dot out of the slice names exports all slices fine when clicking "Export Selected".

Regards,

Bert

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 12.21.37.pdf

Screen Shot 2015-04-13 at 12.21.09.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.