You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How about a "friendly studio"? (Custom Workspace)

When I started learning PagePlus a few years ago, I found one feature extremly helpful: being able to adjust and save your workspace! You even threw in some predefined workspaces such as:

• Standard
  • Designer
  • Classic DTP (perfect!)

Well done, very nice! Adobe has it, too, even QuarkXPress allows you to somehow save your workspace even though it is much more cumbersome (as most things in QXP).

When Photo and Designer came out, I was looking all over the place and couldn't find such a feature. I couldn't believe that there was no "custom workspace" available and I'm still thinking: There must be such a hidden gem but I haven't discovered it, yet. Where is it?

Do you offer such a feature in Publisher? And if not, why? It can't be the coding, I doubt that a feature like this is so difficult to implement! After all, you are saving one workspace, already - the current one.

Yes. Implementing this feature as it is used by adobe's apps should not be too much to ask for, because, as you said:

2 hours ago, Interior Book Design said:

After all, you are saving one workspace, already - the current one.

But I have hopes there is more thinking behind it. If they just copy Indesign's workspaces, they would build a feature that maybe would not allow them to make a better workspace-system. 

For example think about Personas already existing in AfDesigner/Photo: The Export persona remembers the palette-positions another way than the Draw Persona, which, to me, suggests that there is already a feature and maybe a future design process in the works at Affinity.

In Publisher Beta, there are the three (now inactive) Pub/Photo/Designer Persona Icons. How would that work in the release version, given Designer already has Draw, Pixel and Export Personas... Either this or that will change until Publisher is out of beta.:35_thinking:

I'm not 100% sure, but think it could be the right way to implement custom workspaces and personas together, although they have to find a way that's not so convoluted with different screen sizes, like my Illustrator-setup, where I save left_monitor + right_monitor + type_of_work.

1228849132_Bildschirmfoto2018-09-10um16_06_20.png.64f36e58f7c1f173c01f6529f09f4b19.png1904604939_Bildschirmfoto2018-09-10um16_01_53.png.b262d21821c1c9341b3d2827926c7cca.png

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've already made this feature request in AD forum over a year ago. A customisable workspace is very important for individual work efficiency. For me being able to customise my workspace in the following way is important for I understand and believe the scientific facts behind it. ...

post-31922-0-62021200-1473508476.thumb.png.7f9559c5978f56f814717936d004f596.png

And, that image is from my MacBook Pro. I now mostly use a 5K iMac. Which means, as a right-handed person, keeping the Studio on the right and inadvertently keep leaving the mouse cursor on the right all the time feels even more inefficient, when I have to move the cursor all the way to the left to pick up something from the tool palette.

I have ditched Photoshop and Illustrator long ago and can't wait to replace InDesign for Publisher, and I hope my request makes sense to someone at Affinity and we get a customisable workspace option (for me with the ability to dock even the tool palette on the right).

Thanks!

Designer, Photo, Publisher   |   MacBook Pro, 16" 2020, macOS 11   |   @mrAbsarAhmed