You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question on Updates to Master and Applying to Pages

I'm having difficulty figuring out how I can apply changes I've made on a Master back to a page. Let me give you some context because I'm coming from InDesign.

In InDesign when I build a Master layout with content placeholders, and then create pages based on the Master, I can easily override the placeholder content in the page. If I need to make additional changes in the Master, I can expect those changes to apply to my edited pages with overwriting anything else in the page.

In Publisher I went about things the same way however I soon discovered Masters and pages were synchronized no matter what changes I was doing to either. So I figured let me check the Symbols panel and disable the Sync button. This then allowed me to make changes on the page content without these changes reflecting also on the Master. Fair enough. 

But now I need to make a new change on the Master and this change isn't syncing back to the page based on this master. I've turned the Sync button back on in Symbols panel but its not working. When I use the Apply Master option on the page itself, it overwrites the page content with the Master page's placeholder elements instead of preserving my edited content from the page.

What I want is the page to reflect the new box and text frame I've added on the Master while not overwriting the page content. Is there something I'm missing or should be doing?

• Staff

Hi rjvela82, 
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a known issue that's already with the dev team. I don't think the Symbols panel is the intended way for this to work (despite Master pages dependency on symbols for its functionality). There should be more improvements/refinements here as the development moves on.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi rjvela82, 
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a known issue that's already with the dev team. I don't think the Symbols panel is the intended way for this to work (despite Master pages dependency on symbols for its functionality). There should be more improvements/refinements here as the development moves on.

Ok good to know! thanks!