You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW adjustments and workflow

I realise that Affinity is more than a RAW converter/developer but I like what I see so far for my Fuji files. Other RAW developers store adjustments to RAW files either in a catalog or sidecar file, so that we can subsequently go back and carry on making changes, revert changes etc without altering the RAW file itself.

How will this work with Affinity? I have just 'developed' a RAW file and saved it as an afphoto file and it is 200MB compared with the RAF being 20MB.

Will Affinity support this way of working with RAW?

Lee

Hello sapphie,

I've read comments on these boards that the Develop Persona is still a "work in progress." That said, however, I doubt seriously if AP modifies the RAW file itself.

Regarding the increase in file size, this is to be expected. Any RAW file converted in any software that I'm aware of will result in a quite drastic increase in file size, even if no adjustments are made. For example, my Canon 5D II RAW files are approximately 24MB off the card, but morph into 120MB TIFF files once converted. Toss into this equation the fact that the latest versions of OS X are saving previews, history, etc, along with your file and all of a sudden we have HUGE file sizes before we do much of anything. This file size thing really took me by surprise when I got a new iMac and started using Pixelmator. In that software, if I make just a few adjustments I'm looking at 1/2GB in its native file format!

Best regards,

AlanH

• 2 weeks later...

I have just 'developed' a RAW file and saved it as an afphoto file and it is 200MB compared with the RAF being 20MB.

That file size would only be wrong if it was radically out of line with the file size of a conversion made from raw to native format in any other program that does it, like Photoshop.

A raw file is one channel, 12 to 16 bits depending on the camera. There should be a major increase in file size when converted to an RGB file, because then it is three channels at 8 or 16 bits. Naturally if you go from one 12-bit channel to three 16-bit channels, the file size increase will seem steep. And then if you for example add a single layer to the RGB file, that should double the file size. Add more layers, masks, and channels, and a composite preview image, and what used to be a small raw file will be quite large.

Alan9940

Wasn't sure I agreed with you on file sizes, but waited until I had the chance to check before responding.   Just downloaded today's shots and found that the answer seems to be "Yes" and "No".  If I import a NEF file and export it without changes, it is between a little smaller and a lot smaller when exported as JPEG (not larger at all), quite a bit larger when as a TIFF and way, way larger (about 10x) as a PSD file.

The JPEG explanation is simply the degree of compression; the PSD may well reflect what Leftshark says above.  No idea why TIFFs are larger ...

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

quite a bit larger when as a TIFF and way, way larger (about 10x) as a PSD file.

The JPEG explanation is simply the degree of compression; the PSD may well reflect what Leftshark says above.  No idea why TIFFs are larger ...

I might not be seeing all the options but when I try to export as TIFF in Affinity Photo, I can't find any compression options. I don't know if it has any.

The reason that's important is that it can make the TIFF file size vary across a wide range. If you export TIFF from Photoshop, you can set the same image to uncompressed TIFF, LZW TIFF, or ZIP TIFF and they're all going to be very different file sizes. I believe PSD uses Run Length compression which would result in yet another file size. I think uncompressed TIFF normally is much larger than any of the others, and ZIP TIFF would be much smaller.

What's not clear is if Affinity exported TIFFs are compressed and if so, using what.

The only settings that show in the Export as TIFF in AP are options for resampling and these do not affect file size.  Using Pixelmator, exporting as a TIFF offers the options of compressed or uncompressed.  The compressed file is the same size as when using AP, and the uncompressed about 50% larger.  But no data on your question about "using what".

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

I took a closer look at this and looked at an Affinity Photo TIFF in different programs. Most did not list the compression but Media Pro says "TIFF (LZW)" so it looks like the TIFF that comes out of Affinity Photo is compressed with LZW. If you have to be limited to just one compression, LZW is a good compromise.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.