You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD export not compatible with Motion 5

Hello,

today I have experienced a compatibility issue between the PSD export feature and Apple's Motion 5 PSD import. This could mainly be Apple's fault, but maybe it can also be interesting for Serif.

When importing a PSD file that comes from Affinity Designer into Motion 5 not all layers (if any) are recognized and after importing not displayed.
The only way to make the PSD file visible is via drag and drop from Motion's file browser, but then all layers get merged and transparency gets lost.

My workaround is to open the PSD file in Photoshop itself and save it with "maximize compatibility" checked. After this Motion 5 has no problems importing the file with all layers and transparency.

Bye
Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for pointing this out. I tried this

- set document background to "transparent" (in Affinity Designer, that is)

- export as PSD, regardless of the settings

Motion would import the image with transparency, but all layers flattened.

I'd definitely vote for having this fixed - under the assumption that it can be fixed from within Designer. And fingers crossed for future development of Motion :)

Despite what may be stated on the internet, ALL properties of the current PSD specification are NOT available to programmers without making an arrangement for licensing from Adobe. (This is apparent in the fact that the current open version of the PDF specification in never inclusive of whatever is in the current version of Acrobat Pro.) This CAN result in Flattened PSD files upon import to (or export from) certain software packages without the implementation of backwards compatibility.

Only the most basic of Photoshop features has been implemented in the open version of the spec to insure compatibility with versions such as 3.0 to around CS2. If you read the PSD specification, a LOT of it is code that was implemented between Photoshop 3.0 and CS1 (8.0). People using the GIMP have complained about it's export interpretation of PSD files for years. Technically--by spec--they might be PSD files but the way they're written upon export may be the problem.

"You may get there, but the path you take may change who you are by the time you arrive."

Just an observation...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.