You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Write sideca files

I am really impressed with the results I can get with my raw files in the latest version 1.6.4 (Windows), but what bothers me a lot is that all my adjustments are not recorded once I hit the "develop" button. For example, after prinitng the photo I realise that I went to far with the sharpening. In my other applications (DxO, On1 Photo Raw, ...) I can just go back to the raw file and tune down the sharpening a bit, in Affinity Photo I have to start from scratch and apply adjustments from memory, wich regularly fails me after about one hour. Also I use to develop all my photos but only export those that I intend to print (jpg fuill size full quality), publish on the web (jpg reduced size 75% quality) or further work with (tiff 16bit).

Would it really be too much effort to implement a feature that a sidecar file is written, every time I hit the "develop" button?

1 hour ago, pefunk said:

Would it really be too much effort to implement a feature that a sidecar file is written, every time I hit the "develop" button?

I guess, auto-exporting development recipe parameters into an re-usable and human-readable format such as a side-car file wouldn't be the most challenging task. I consider defining the overall (base) direction more difficult, since it implies careful considerations, for instance

- proprietary approach vs. XMP standard (can of worms)?

- write AND read (re-import)?

- history support?

- versioning support (sort of virtual copies)?

But yes, this is a feature I also would like to see as soon as possible. :)

4 hours ago, pefunk said:

Hello @pefunk,

while my answer is not of an immediate solution I want to point you to APh's feature roadmap. There it says:

' - Non destructive Develop Layer '

It is perhaps not exactly a 'sidecar file' how they will do it, but as I understand it, it will be possible to make changes after the initial develop step.

Hope that helps (a bit)  :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Momin Saggu said:

Hi, still new to AP, jumped ship from LR. Just wondering if there is an approximate timeline for the ' - Non destructive Develop Layer '

Thanks!

Regards,

Momin

Hello @Momin Saggu,

welcome to the forum.

Serif does not give any information when a certain feature will be available. All they do is to tell which features are to be expected (within the Version 1.* cycle). This is already more than many other software companies offer.

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil