You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help try to creating a Template

I´ve got a problem and hope you can help me.

Ok, I just want to create a Expose for Real Estate where you can place Photos, Logo, Text and your companyadress but this only as a Template. The User of my Template should not be able to customize the Photosizes, Textposition or Logoposition. The Logoposition should be flexible based on the position wich is selected.

I attached a Photo of my Template as an Example I hope you can help me to solve my problem. Thanks a lot guys

Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-24 um 23.50.54.png

Well I believe you have to be a little bit more specific here, especially in terms of the format and reusability of such a template. Meaning what file format did you thought about would disallow to alter the image sizes and positioning here?

Pretty much everything AP/AD do offer here as a file format can be manipulated and altered, thus IMO instead only a little application would offer exactly this usability behavior.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I "think" (don't hold me to this tho) what you might have to do is use LOCK each field/Layer as you have finished with it. You can keep the same format LOCKED, and if you just want to change the photos then UNLOCK the IMAGE. The field/Layer will stay the same.

This was a very quick example of what you wanted. I can't change anything there because they're all LOCKED. 

I use to make Postcard's for my wife, but I would copy or duplicate my last Postcard then change it. At least that way I wasn't messing up the original, and if I did mess up the copy I'd just go back to the original/last postcard. That worked for me.

But I'm very new here, and others would have a better idea on what you could do. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 3.09.16 PM.png

Well so far so good, but if he gives that to customers as an AD/AP template they still can click, unlock and change that template and mess around with it. - So the only thing I could imagine instead of an app would be to make a sort of a PDF form out of it, which can possibly be done with Acrobat X (however I'm not sure if AD/AP can make such PDFs).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@Peter J G I don't know maybe you're right and it is meant for inhouse usage, however my initial understanding was that it's more intended for customers to be used as a template then (?).

On 24/01/2018 at 11:02 PM, Aprince said:

I´ve got a problem and hope you can help me.

Ok, I just want to create a Expose for Real Estate where you can place Photos, Logo, Text and your companyadress but this only as a Template. The User of my Template should not be able to customize the Photosizes, Textposition or Logoposition. The Logoposition should be flexible based on the position wich is selected.

I attached a Photo of my Template as an Example I hope you can help me to solve my problem. Thanks a lot guys

The problem is not the template, but the fact every user has to have the software needed to edit the postcards.

Plus, if you want to lock it, that needs something specialized. 

Easier to use Microsoft Word, make a document and place a "dummy" picture in each frame and let the end user use the "Change Picture" "From File" option. Word will fill the frame nicely with the new pictures.

Picture sizes etc can't be locked but Word is a bit of a pig to use for that, so who would ever want to? ;) And everybody has Word, I think?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

@Peter J G I don't know maybe you're right and it is meant for inhouse usage, however my initial understanding was that it's more intended for customers to be used as a template then (?).

Yes, I think so too.

I think a predefined PDF Form file would then possibly come close to what the OP want's to do, since everybody can fill out those with free to use tools like Acrobat Reader etc.

Ok first thanks guys for your replies. The main problem is, that I want to create a template where you can just drag your photos on for example Pic 1 and the Software (I finally have no idea which Software is the best for this job) places the pic in selected area with right measuring. In the end, it doesn‘t matter wich Format or Software. I also dont know if its even possible or not in AD?!

AD can certainly do it, but is it practical for every one to buy a copy of AD and install it.?

Does everybody who will need to use it, have a machine of suitable specification ?

How many people will be using it ?

Who will teach them how to use it? AD is quite a complex program.

And who will provide technical back-up when it stops working, or they screw something up?

That's why I suggested Word. It's not very nice but you don't have to answer any of the above questions, or provide technical backup.

But a PDF form would be good too. Not too difficult to teach people how to use that.

Well I've looked and played with a PDF Form tool here and it's easy to do that with one of those...

editable_pdf_form_600.jpg.d7f15190822fe395db7a47e86d01e6cb.jpg

Such PDF Forms can be done with a bunch of PDF tools, even free online versions like this here.

ok thanks a lot, I think I will try it in PDF to do the Job, I think thats fine. Looks almost like the design in AD. 

@toltec I think so too, AD is unfortunately not so common yet and I hope that will change in future.

Well, I will write you guys as soon as I have results and let you know how I got along.