You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jigsaw composite image (help please)

Hi all, can I ask one of the Affinity Photo experts a 'how to' question please.  I am making up a composite image with a jigsaw patten overlay on top of a photo and my next move is holding me back. How can I cut out individual jigsaw pieces and move them to the side of the image whilst showing a table top background behind.  The idea being that the image would show an incomplete puzzle with the pieces in small piles around the edge?  Thanks for any help.

norway and desk combined.afphoto

Hide your background and activate the puzzle layer, you may want to flatten that puzzle (jigsaw) layer. Now you need to make appropriate selections of desired jigsaw pieces, cut them out and paste them onto your background as new layers then you can rearrange their position accordingly. For selecting individual jigsaw pieces the quick mask (mode) and the selection brush might be useful, or it might be easier to try to make some useful reusable selections out of the jigsaw patten overlay you used.

Since I'm too lazy now, I've tried the above said only with one easy accessible piece here ...

norway_puzzle_600.jpg.98607c30e060a1e53b279d08732ec561.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

BTW interestingly or strangely AD defaulted afterwards to open the .aphoto file on my Mac instead of AP, so I thought Ok then let's see how AD deals with this. Well somehow making selections under the AD pixel persona works even better for me here, so I removed two other pieces with AD this time instead ...

norway_puzzle_ad_try_600.jpg.01bcc89ca46e3740fd5056902e3dd9ce.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2