You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non destructive working

I'm experimenting with non destructive inpainting and seen the below video which is very helpful however I've got a couple of questions if I may?

1. Why would I add pixel layer and apply to below layers as opposed to duplicating the background pixel layer as I was previously?

2. Is there anyway to non destructively crop (I'll admit I'm not very good at editing and quite often change my mind with cropping but have to CMD Z until I get back to crop and lose subsequent edits)

3. Finally and a little of topic but I've seen a couple of Photoshop videos on creating a sunset, is there a way of doing this on Affinity?

• Staff

Hi Daryll,

1. Why would I add pixel layer and apply to below layers as opposed to duplicating the background pixel layer as I was previously?

Creating an empty pixel layer and adding content to it is far more economical (in terms of file size) than duplicating the entire image. There's no right or wrong method; just do whichever you prefer. I always use the new pixel layer approach as working in 16-bit gives you a base file size of around 120MB for a 20 megapixel image - if you're duplicating entire image layers all the time, you can see how that can quickly add up!

2. Is there anyway to non destructively crop (I'll admit I'm not very good at editing and quite often change my mind with cropping but have to CMD Z until I get back to crop and lose subsequent edits)

Cropping is non-destructive anyway - those areas you've cropped away are simply hidden. Let's say you've cropped your image and want some of the original image back. At any point during your editing, you can either:

a) Select the Crop Tool, extend the crop boundaries outside the current area, then click Apply.

b) Go to Document>Unclip Canvas; this should, as the name suggests, "unclip" the canvas to the entire image rather than your chosen area.

If you do want to crop destructively, right-click the Background pixel layer and choose Rasterise (this will effectively discard the areas hidden by the cropping).

Hope that helps for now! Regarding the sunset question, I'll investigate further as it may form the basis for a suitable tutorial video...

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Finally and a little of topic but I've seen a couple of Photoshop videos on creating a sunset, is there a way of doing this on Affinity?

Absolutely......

I do it on my drone shots constantly..... Not sure what aspects you'd like to create.

But a quick way is just googling some light/lens flare images and then trying them on different blending modes. usually screen... overlay.... until you get the results your looking for. Hope this helps