You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving to a new Mac, palettes position

Hello,

I got my new iMac and would like to have the same palettes position as I had on my old Mac. Is there a possibility to safe the existing position an move it to another machine? 

Or does anybody know, which file(s) I have to copy from my backup?

Thanks in advance and kind regards 

René

Hello, René & welcome to the forums.

When you say the position of the palettes, do you mean the color palettes in the Swatches Studio panel, or collectively as the positions of the various Studio panels in the workspace?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, reneS said:

I mean the position of all studio panels (I have placed them on the 2nd screen to maximize workspace on my iMac).

I don't think there is any way to set their positions to the same ones as on the old Mac other than to do that manually. I am sure there is a support file somewhere that stores those positions, but that data is probably stored in a way that is specific to the particular Mac the app is running on rather than in some "universal" way that would work correctly on any other Mac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 29.12.2017 at 0:48 PM, R C-R said:

I don't think there is any way to set their positions to the same ones as on the old Mac other than to do that manually. I am sure there is a support file somewhere that stores those positions, but that data is probably stored in a way that is specific to the particular Mac the app is running on rather than in some "universal" way that would work correctly on any other Mac.

Hello and a happy new year!

Thank you again for your answer! In Adobe Photoshop CS6 this info was stored in

~/Library/Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings/WorkSpaces/NameOfMySavedWorkspace

There is no file like this in Affinity Photo and it is not possible to save the work space?

Kind regards

René

2 hours ago, reneS said:

There is no file like this in Affinity Photo and it is not possible to save the work space?

There are various per user files stored at path ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/ but I do not think any one of them alone stores the positions of the panels in a way that could be copied from one Mac to another without causing unexpected behaviors. Affinity has no named workspaces, just the current one, so there is no need for saving it as a named workspace.

Affinity Photo