You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I've searched high and low throughout the myriad of questions regarding exporting to Illustrator and EPS formats and couldn't find an answer to the particular question:

Is it possible to export to Illustrator 8 EPS specifically? (The difference is that Illustrator 8 EPS files are Postscript rather than PDF)

I'm using Strata Design 3D that will only import (2D vectors) Illustrator 8 EPS, and PDF. Strata won't import either the EPS from Affinity Designer, nor will it import the Affinity PDF's.

I don't really have a problem using Illustrator as a bridge to convert to EPS 8 if needed, except that all the file formats I've tried exporting from Affinity Designer open in Illustrator with distortion and points repositioned. For example; a horizontal straight line leading into a half circle, then ending in another horizontal line... in Affinity the half circle is a perfect half circle, but when imported into Illustrator it becomes a bit of an oblong.

Cheers.

Cheers Callum.

I guess that begs the questions; what exactly is the EPS that Affinity exports and how to the various versions differ? And the same goes for PDF's. As I understand it, Strata reads native AI files by extracting the PDF data from it (provided you've saved it as a PDF compatible file), yet it won't read a "proper" PDF.

Not that I'm looking for an answer, just rhetorically wondering out loud. 

Hi ktal,

This same question was my first ever post on the Affinity forums as well!! (two years ago O.o)

Different 3D package but same issue.

I got it to work! .... sort of. Still have issues with booleans :|.

But if you're dealing with solid shapes....The keys in Affinity are:

1) change all the fill types to Winding. Layer dropdown > Fill Mode > Winding.

2) On export, on the More page, Minimize Size must be checked.

Hope that works for you. Cheers.

Edit:

So I just checked again. (it's been a few AD versions since the last test...)

Dividing everything that has a hole does work. (don't forget about the winding after the divide.)

In the 3D software I check auto axis drill on import.

So this in affinity....5a297680ed990_ScreenShot2017-12-07at12_09_21PM.thumb.png.3812eca0c8c3e5298a60b1d1a965222f.png

... comes in like this. A pita do have to do. But it does work.

5a297699e7261_ScreenShot2017-12-07at12_09_41PM.png.f84a1f6a62cffbf0050fe4e9c12a0c1b.png