You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spelling.... liquefy

Love the software - but do note that it's "liquefy" and not "liquify".

Adobe use the incorrect spelling in Photoshop. I wrote to them about it, and got a lovely note back to say they know that it's wrong, but since it's always been that way, and since some arcane dictionary they've found in the US lists it as an alternate (sic) spelling, they won't change it just for me.

Please don't be so intransigent!

Martin S Taylor

Yes, well the Internet will justfity any old spelling - it's full of Americans. :) Printed dictionaries give precedence to 'liquefy', and if they mention 'liquify' at all list it as a variant, or just cross reference it.

Oh, and I know it's no absolute justification to go back to Latin, but it's worth noting that it comes from liquefacere – spelt thus – and is of the same family as rarefy, putrefy and the rest. Wholly different etymology from purify.

No matter - it's your program...

Cheers, MST

• Staff

I will concede that "liquify" is generally considered an alternate..

I suppose my reasons for resisting the change are a little selfish - I've been staring at the current spelling for so long that I would be constantly thinking it was a typo if I changed it..

Also, my OCD would then force me to change all instances of the term in the code - there are 1721 instances. That would end badly :)

Excuse my initially flippant response, but there *is* method in the madness ;)

Andy.

For french speaking persons, as I am, "liquify" tells me more than liquefy (in this case I would search the dictionnary to understand it, no joke)

I started to use the program but yesterday (also a newbie on mac but already an "old" photographer)... it looks nice and I really appreciated the noise reduction for Raw. (I'll check if this has to be posted somewhere else in the forum)

Anyway, I'll pay a special attention to the french version (and its spelling of course)...if I can help :P

I'm French speaking too (French Canadian).  Will the app based its language on the OS language or will this be a choice the user can make ?  My OS is English so are most of the apps I used, except Office.   Some apps let the user choose, some don't.  I prefer the one that lets me change.  

This is especially helpful when you surf for tutorials and only find the desired instructions in English.  Having to translate between French and English to find the commands used in the tutorials makes it harder to follow.  That's when I put my apps in the specific language so it's easier to understand the tutorials.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.