You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand layer's colour coding support for all layer types.

Hi everyone,

i just found this nice littel feature.  I opend a pdf file, printed from autocad, and rightclick on the produced vectorlayers, i could select from the right click menue   "Properties"..   and beleave it or not.. 

for vectorlayer, it seems , you can allready mark them with a colored line below.     Is this to easier find your layers ?  a colorise option ?  But if so , why not for pixellayer also ?  And if so, i beleave a colorised line below isnt as god as a totaly colorised backround of the layer as in photoshop..

never the less, i am courious, whats this and why this way..

Tom

mark colors in layer manager.jpg

• Staff

Hi Tom Schülke,

This is only available for the layers - labelled as "Layers" between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel - created in Affinity Designer. Affinity Photo is not able to create this type of layers on its own. You are seeing them there in Affinity Photo because you opened an affinity file created originally in Designer. They purpose it to help you organise/colour code your layers/project so it's easier to manage. Also note that objects belonging to "coloured" layers also use that colour for their bounding boxes/handles on canvas.

Hi MEB,

so if i understand this right,   when i open a pdf file, printed from Autocad, for example, affinity Photo thinks, this is a vektorgraphic, produced from affinity designer, and labels it as "Layer" ,

Well all right.  thats ok,  but as you allready know..      we could use this also for each other layer type..   i know you allready know...    (and by the way, labeling the backroud of the wohle text is easier to see, its a bit difficult to see only one tiny little line below..

thanks..

• Staff

Hi Tom Schülke,

PDF's can also include raster layers, but yes depending how the original document layers where structured you will also get these layers when you import a PDF.

A few users already pointed out that they would like to have these options available for other layer types (similarly to what Photoshop does) but it's up to dev teams to pick these suggestions and implement them. The (low) visibility of the small line below was also mentioned at the time. Since this thread is already in the feature requests section i've just edited the title a little bit to make it more clear. Hope you don't mind.