You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

sizing images not simple enough

HCW3

OS-X desktop version

Suggestion for improvement:

When using the "Document/Resize Document" menu-item, if 'Resample' checkbox is not selected, the only resizing allowed is by dpi. (and it's limited to 400dpi using the slider).

It would be much more useful, when not resampling, to be able to specify the size desired while having the dpi calculated automatically. 

Also, changing the size to input into the size box is cumbersome: Unable to select the digits with the mouse, the cursor must be positioned just right, then must delete the digits with the keyboard, before typing in the new size.

On 2017-9-21 at 5:48 PM, HCW3 said:

OS-X desktop version

Suggestion for improvement:

When using the "Document/Resize Document" menu-item, if 'Resample' checkbox is not selected, the only resizing allowed is by dpi. (and it's limited to 400dpi using the slider).

It would be much more useful, when not resampling, to be able to specify the size desired while having the dpi calculated automatically. 

Also, changing the size to input into the size box is cumbersome: Unable to select the digits with the mouse, the cursor must be positioned just right, then must delete the digits with the keyboard, before typing in the new size.

Changing dpi is very different to changing resolution (re-sampling).

DPI is metadata, normally for sizing the image in DTP type programs. Which is presumably why it only goes to 400 dpi. Most litho printing is done at 150 lpi (occasionally 175 lpi) which needs an image with a resolution of 300 dpi, (or 350 dpi). A dpi  of more than 400 would be absolutely pointless.

How could it possibly set the dpi automatically? Only you know what the dpi should be. i.e if you want to print a 2" x 2" image at 300 dpi, enter those values and Affinity works out you need an image 600 pixels x 600 pixels. If you need an image at 2" x 2" image at 350 dpi, you have to tell it that is what you want. Then Affinity works out you need a 700 pixel x 700 pixel image. 

If you double click on the digits, they are highlighted in blue, so you can just type a new number and overwrite the existing numbers. I just tried and it is not necessary to be that precise.

click.png.24efacca7ef62d94f21a47658ca06a66.png

I don't see how you could improve on any of that, except that on Windows you don't need to double click on the numbers to highlight them. I am assuming that is a Mac thing?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

Changing dpi is very different to changing resolution (re-sampling).

DPI is metadata, normally for sizing the image in DTP type programs. Which is presumably why it only goes to 400 dpi. Most litho printing is done at 150 lpi (occasionally 175 lpi) which needs an image with a resolution of 300 dpi, (or 350 dpi). A dpi  of more than 400 would be absolutely pointless.

How could it possibly set the dpi automatically? Only you know what the dpi should be. i.e if you want to print a 2" x 2" image at 300 dpi, enter those values and Affinity works out you need an image 600 pixels x 600 pixels. If you need an image at 2" x 2" image at 350 dpi, you have to tell it that is what you want. Then Affinity works out you need a 700 pixel x 700 pixel image. 

If you double click on the digits, they are highlighted in blue, so you can just type a new number and overwrite the existing numbers. I just tried and it is not necessary to be that precise.

click.png.24efacca7ef62d94f21a47658ca06a66.png

I don't see how you could improve on any of that, except that on Windows you don't need to double click on the numbers to highlight them. I am assuming that is a Mac thing?

Thanks for your info.Useful lesson for me.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:21 AM, toltec said:

How could it possibly set the dpi automatically?

When you change dpi without resample of course the application can calculate correct values. It is very useful to set image size in millimeters and let application adjust dpi accordingly. That way image can be prepared for printing (among other uses) without destructive resample (and you can see if the dpi is going to be high enough). Unfortunately AP does not make it easy as size fields are greyed out and do not even update if you drag dpi slider.