You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a Full Bleed Document in Affinity Designer

Hi,

I'm new to Affinity Designer and graphic design in general, and I'm looking for help in creating a full bleed document (8.5 x 11 flyer). I set the dimensions to 8.5 x 11 and in the Document Setup I set the bleed to be .125 in. on all sides, and in my design I extended all backgrounds past the document line. When I exported the document, I made sure to "include bleed". I just printed it and it is not full bleed. It shows a white border. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change the dimensions of my document to be 8.75 x 11.25? If so, where should the margin be? 

Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've done this already and it didn't work, so I think the issue might be that I set margins. I thought the margins would be the safety line, but could the margins be interfering with the full bleed? How do you set the safety lines?

Are you printing to over-sized paper? If not, it is most likely your printer has unprintable margins. But it could be, if the crop marks, etc., are printing that Adobe Reader is set to scale the document to fit.

If you open the pdf in Adobe Reader, what does it say the dimensions are? You may need to turn on the preferences to display to page size.

Thank you MikeW. Adobe Reader shows the dimensions are 8.75 x 11.25 and it was set to "shrink oversize pages". I tried changing it to print "actual size" and the white border was still there, so it must be unprintable margins. I had no idea. But I guess the good news is that if this were sent to a professional printer, the full bleed would indeed be there? Thanks again

Yep, correct size for your bleed. If whomever you have print something requires trim and other marks, there is a button named More where those get turned on. Some of the presets have them on by default. When these are on, the page dimensions will increase accordingly. 

Be sure to read the requirements of each print service as to what they want to receive. Some will not want these marks, many will. Most all will have desired cmyk output profiles.