You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been following Affinity Designer for a while, done the trial, bought the book but need advice before I take the plunge. I'm only a part-time graphic designer/publisher and the occasional freelance work that comes in does not justify the monthly charge for Adobe's InDesign and Photoshop. After being a long time user of Quark, I stupidly coughed up for QuarkXpress v10 but it was such a disaster, I signed up to Creative Cloud. I got a year at a great rate that included the whole suite (including Illustrator) for not much more than the current monthly fee for two apps. The 'deal' is getting silly now.

I'm really looking for a package that will replace Photoshop and Indesign. Whilst I manage to limp on by with a patch for Quark V10.5.2 running on Mac OS Sierra (conflicts and End of Life product nightmare!) before I leave Adobe altogether I need to be sure Affinity can provide all that is needed to continue to produce newsletters, posters, leaflets, pull up banners etc.  Indesign is the programme I use most but Designer seems more like Illustrator in that aspect. 

Should I buy Affinity Photo and ditch Photoshop (which I hate and still can't work out how to use even after 14 years) and should I wait for Affinity to produce a publishing programme before cancelling Indesign? (They keep promising it but it seems a while in the making . . . ) 

Any advice gratefully received.

• Staff

Hi RedKoala,

Welcome to the forum

Have you tried the Affinity Photo trail as this will allow you to see if Photo can do all of your editing that you currently do in Photoshop, as for Publisher we are still working on it and at the moment I have no date when the beta will be available.