You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is probably a stupid question and is most likely a classic example of a pebcak error, but I really can't figure it out. I'm trying to use the inpaining tool to replace the transparency here with an approximation of what should be there

59993683c6862_0000image1.thumb.png.8bfda7ce5e8316bfa3e8751338376343.png

This probably seems like I pretty crude way of doing things, but I've done similar things before in other programs, and it works fine for my purposes when it works properly. What I did is select all the transparency, Making sure I selected every last pixel of it. I've tried it multiple times and it always ends up looking like this:

5999382c57e98_0000image2.thumb.png.50c173cdb81f1696eb5767e3eb84e670.png

The bottom comes out exactly like I want it, but the top turns into a transparency gradient. This happens even if I fill the transparency with a different color before inpainting, so it somehow is creating transparency that I don't want. Sorry if this should be obvious, I just bought Affinity Photo earlier today. I left the interface in on the screenshots in case that gives some clue to something I doing wrong.

Edit: I was able to get around the problem by editing the alpha channel. I still would like to know why this happens in the first place, and if it's intended behavior.

Edited by catlover1019
Figued something out

• 2 weeks later...

@catlover1019 This topic may be of some interest to you regarding the transparency issue. I don't know if it will resolve anything but as mentioned there you might try rasterizing your Background pixel layer first (even though it already is rasterized) or using one of the selection methods mentioned to make sure any partially transparent pixels are included in the area you want inpainting applied to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7