You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Raw import and processing

I asked this question on another thread, but did not get an answer. So I will ask again giving more details.

1. I imported a photo into IOS 11 camera roll on my iPad Pro 10.5 (using the Apple sd card reader). The photo was taken with Fuji x-E1 set for raw+jpeg. 

2. I exported this photo to iCloud.  The transfer shows jpeg being transferred and the file size is 7.1mb. The raw file is not visible anywhere. 

3. I opened AP and import this file via iCloud file.  Meta data shows file size to be 25mb in photo persona, not develop persona.  So, the file size matches the raw file, but develop persona is not activated.

4. I opened AP and imported the same photo as in step 1 from camera roll. AP opened it with develop persona, but the meta data shows a file size of 1920x1280 (2.5mb), much smaller than the regular jpeg file size of 7.1mb. 

Am I working with a raw file in step 3? 

Am I working with a jpeg file in step 4?

I spent 2 days trying searching for answers.

Can I get some answers from Moderators or someone who knows what is going on?

TIA 

• Staff

Hi Krist,

Welcome to the forums.

When importing RAW files they should be identified by a RAW tag in the bottom corner and will open in the Develop persona. The information displayed from the metadata is that of the embedded JPEG that the RAW file contains. This has been passed over to our developers to look into further so the right information is retrieved from the metadata. 

So to answer your questions, in step 3 you was working with the JPEG, it would seem exporting from Photos to iCloud only copied over the JPEG. In step 4 you was working with the RAW file as it opened in the Develop persona, however as indicated above the metadata shown the embedded JPEG filesize and resolution.

Thanks Lee for the clarification.  I cannot work with step 4 as my work flow.  When I export the finished work, it gives a name of untitled.jpg.  I want to work with a raw file, so I cannot work with step 3, although exported file does give me the correct file name. I tried many ways to export raw file from camera roll to iCloud, I tried to follow MEB’ instruction regarding unchecking “optimized iPad storage”. But such option is not in my iPad Pro running ios11 beta4, and I did try different options in settings, and they seem to make no difference.  Is this a problem with ios11 beta4? 

If I use LR LITE to import a file from camera roll, I get the right file size and right file name.  AP cannot do the same.  Are AP developers working on this issue?