You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Small caps, all caps

Mostly a post for Dave H. I suppose.

I know that Adam T suggested that:

* All Small Caps = c2sc + smcp

And this was implemented. However, I believe that as per the registry tag for c2sc, it should not act upon lowercase, it should only act upon capitals and be renamed.

I would like to see these separated (c2sc & smcp).

Note that for the way the term is used in AD, it does act like it says. But there is no tag I am aware for this combined action. So if you want to keep that term and its action upon the text runs, that's fine. If so, it would be nice to add the c2sc and term it appropriately.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mike

So you want a word to be a mix of small capitals and lowercase letters? Won't that look weird?

No, not really (but there are use cases when the font design has scaled uc characters in the lc positions and just using c2sc works well without affecting surrounding characters).

If I receive a run of text that has several instances of text that needs set in small caps, those words are set in all capitals. In other applications that support c2sc, I can highlight the entire sentence with a few clicks, hit c2sc and just deal with unsetting the sentence start back to a cap character and all the lc is unaffected by that choice.

With c2sc + smcp (i.e., all caps), I need to highlight every single bit of text that needs to be in small caps and singly use All Caps.

In a more automated environment, this is easy enough to script (or use GREP f/r or styles) and trap only the text that should be small caps. AD doesn't have scripting support and I have no idea if/when AD or APub will/would.

I generally use tagged text in another application and those bits of text destined to be small caps are tagged to use a character style, so pretty much hands-off on my part. This issue came about on a small brochure where multiple instances had to be set by hand in AD. At 16 pages of such work, it was, well, work and I'm lazy...