You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clarity Not An Option In Overlay Brush Painting ?

All

New to to the products and to this forum. Jumping into Affinity Photo on iPad & Mac, been using PS & LR for a while. Trying to get to grips with Photo's differences and loving the tutorials (thank you!). With that said, I love using the custom Adjustment Brushes in LR when touching up portraits etc and was hoping to do something similar using Photo. One of the things I can't seem to get to work at the moment is that same kind of setup (custom adjustment brushes) in Photo. Any pointers on this ?

Also with regards to Overlay Brush, when I paint over something (in Develop menu, assume this is only persona can use Overlay Brush ?) I see Clarity grays out which is one adjustment I want to use with a brush. Why is this and is Clarity available to Overlay brushes ?

Thanks all

WC

• Staff

Hi Wildcat_1,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The closest feature we have in Develop Persona is the Brush Overlays as you already discovered but they are a bit less flexible than the adjustment brush tool in Lightroom. You can only use the Basic panel adjustments with them and Clarity is currently not available for Brush Overlays. In Photo Persona however you have much more freedom. You can use any adjustment/live filter with their built-in masks to paint over the areas you want to affect and/or use Blend ranges for more control.

• 2 weeks later...

@MEB

Are there any plans to have Lightroom-esque adjustment brushes in the Develop Persona with Brush overlays ? In other words expand this to feature more adjustment options ? I have to say using these in Lightroom and with the advent of your excellent iPad app and an Apple Pencil it screams that more options with adjustment brushes would be amazing option !

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2017 at 6:52 AM, MEB said:

In Photo Persona however you have much more freedom. You can use any adjustment/live filter with their built-in masks to paint over the areas you want to affect and/or use Blend ranges for more control.

I tried this suggestion, it works but kind of in the opposite way than described, for me (I think). Using a Live Adjustment Layer for clarity; selecting the brush option and 'painting' seems to remove the clarity rather than painting in the effect as you implied in your response. Is that correct?

Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

• Staff

Hi youngmedia,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Select the adjustment or filter in the Layer's panel then go to menu Layer ▸ Invert. Notice the adjustment or filter's mask thumbnail has become black in the Layers panel, concealing the effect of the adjustment or filter. Now make sure the brush is set to white. You can then "paint" the adjustment/filter back on the image (rather than remove it).

By default Affinity creates the adjustments/filters associated with a white mask which means they are applied equally to the whole image - painting with black on the adjustment/filter layer "hides" the effect where you paint. So to get the opposite behaviour you have to invert the default white mask to black (going to menu Layer ▸ Invert) - which means the adjustment/filter is totally concealed/blocked and paint with white on ti to let the effect pass through the areas you have painted with white.

When working with mack white reveals and black conceals. Greys give more or less semitransparent results depending if the grey is closer to white (light grey) or black (dark greys).

• 11 months later...

Hello! 

Thank you for the possibility to do it in the Photo Persona.

Do you though plan to add it to the Develop Persona at some stage, this possibility to add clarity as a brush adjustment?

Thank you!