You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Which format and size you use when exporting pictures to instagram? 

I use jpeg, shortest size to 2048 px, 72 dpi and ratio is 4x5 or square. But still sometimes pictures gets blurry and quality is never as good as others. I think lower pixels isn't answer, because when I'm using 1080px, quality is not so good. Should I use other format, like DNG?

In lightroom is it possible to export picture directly from lightroom to instagram. What do you think is this same feature coming to affinity?

Greetings,

Alan

• Staff

Hi Alan and welcome to the Affinity Forums,

Have you tried following the guidelines from Instagram to do with picture sizes as seen here:

https://help.instagram.com/1631821640426723

Whenever i post to Instagram i always do the edits in Affinity, export the full size image and then i let a 3rd party app on my iPhone do the resizing and sharing to Instagram with no loss in quality

Hi,

Which format and size you use when exporting pictures to instagram? 

I use jpeg, shortest size to 2048 px, 72 dpi and ratio is 4x5 or square. But still sometimes pictures gets blurry and quality is never as good as others. I think lower pixels isn't answer, because when I'm using 1080px, quality is not so good. Should I use other format, like DNG?

In lightroom is it possible to export picture directly from lightroom to instagram. What do you think is this same feature coming to affinity?

Greetings,

Alan

I wish people would forget about inches. i.e DPI (dots, per inch) unless they are printing. Printers use dots and an inch is always an inch. Displays use pixels and an inch is not an inch (at least not when you put the word inch side by side with pixel). How many inches does a 1920 X 1080 pixel image occupy on a 50 plasma TV compared to a 2540 X 1440 pixel phone? And thats only a 2K phone!

If you want your image to fully occupy a typical monitor or HDTV at 1920 x 1080 pixels use an image 1920 x 1080 pixels. Make sure you are not over compressing the JPEG file. 

This is set to be 960 pixels wide. I exported it at 85% compression straight from Affinity photo as a JPEG and the file size is 126 kb. It should occupy half the width of your 1920 x 1080 device!  With instagram, you could make it a bit bigger, i.e. 1080 or Instagram will simply reduce it to 1080 wide. I did this at 960 to see if it is half the width of ANY device you view it on. As long as the browser is set to 100%. It's only a stock photo and has been compressed, changed and compressed again, so not ideal.

Jellyfish960_zpsjcc0y1nr.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2017 at 3:38 PM, stokerg said:

Hi Alan and welcome to the Affinity Forums,

Have you tried following the guidelines from Instagram to do with picture sizes as seen here:

https://help.instagram.com/1631821640426723

Whenever i post to Instagram i always do the edits in Affinity, export the full size image and then i let a 3rd party app on my iPhone do the resizing and sharing to Instagram with no loss in quality

what third party app are you using?