You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Well this shouldn't be the case but I've been messing with a simple layer mask for 30 minutes now and still haven't been able to successfully mask a simple layer. This clearly is more complicated than it needs to be.

What I'm trying to do.

I have 2 images in separate layers. How can I use the black/white image as a mask on the other image?

I've tried a dozen of things neither which worked.

I tried selecting the layer i want to mask, adding a mask to it, then control clicking the mask and clicking paste, but it pastes the mask from the clipboard into a new layer, not into the mask.

Secondly i tried dragging the black and white image onto the image until the blue vertical bar appears but this doesn't do anything. Why is this so complicated to do something so simple....very frustrating.

Hi JokerMartini,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the black and white layer then go to menu Layer ▸ Rasterise to Mask. A black and white layer can't be used directly as a mask without being "converted" first.

Life save!!! Thank you Very much. I was going crazy trying to solve this.