You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vectorizing a hand drawn image

Quick question folks - thanks in advance,

I am about to start working with a round logo that was hand drawn but has yet to be made into a vector image.

I'll focus my question for the sake of simplicity.

The logo is inside a black circle, the edges of which need obviously become very pixelated and ragged upon zooming.

Which AD tool/procedure do I need to use in order to clean up, or 'vectorize' outer edges such as these?

Appreciate it.

-Christo

• Staff

Hi Christo,

The logo become pixelated when you zoom because the logo is a raster image - that is, it's composed by pixels that become larger as you zoom in the image.

After you trace the logo using paths (vector objects) the "edges" will remain clear no matter how you zoom-in. So if the logo contains a circle just use the Ellipse Tool to draw it (press shift while creating it to constraint the ellipse to a circle). For organic elements (non-recognizable shapes) you have to use the Pen Tool (and Node Tool for adjustments) to draw them.