You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RMB or Hotkey for Brush size !!!

It seems Affinity does not allow you to press RMB to open a brush size menu or use a hotkey around your left hand to open a brush size slider!

going to the toolbar or pressing [ ] are always long mouse or hand movements disrupting fluid workflows

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

You can set whatever shortcuts you want, or try Alt+LMB+RMB and mouse your mouse. Also works with wacom pen when top button is set to right clic.

A RMB context brush options sure would be great, but this works nice

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

• 1 month later...

I am using other apps until 1.6 (purchased AD, but waiting to some upgrades for AP), so am a bit disconnected now, but in its day i built my self a workflow for that and other shortcut/mouse overrides. Worked great. I'm afraid you might need an equivalent utility on your Mac. In Windows 7 this works great, at least. I have for all my applications an utility that interferes between the application -whatever it is- and my input devices. So I can effectively override almost any config, and like with Wacom panel, have an automatic config per application, that triggers automatically. It is free. I have wrote a lot of tutts and explanations about it in these forums. I would be surprised if there's not an equivalent -free or not- utility for this on the Mac.

This one is where I explain how to use the app (again, useful if you use both Affinity's versions, Windows an Mac). But the example shortcut, not so useful now, as now it is added the possibility to setup wheel zoom as a preference. I believe it was not so in the beginning.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27990-zoom-like-a-photoshop/?p=135701

But the one you are asking for :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27858-brush-resize-and-hardness-with-ctrl-alt/?p=135888

BTW, for brush size, I realized sometime ago (and I work drawing 10 - 14 hours a day) that fine tuning (in Windows, I know the sensitivity max and min values is different in Wacom driver for both platforms) there's simply nothing faster than a well configured wheel ring that the intuos Pro and cintiq comes with.

But for those having a basic Intuos or alternative, by all means, if are Windows users, this free utility is a royal gift. By all means ! I use it for every application, as I kindda am way faster by having in every place pan with middle mouse, and zoom wheel (to cursor point). Works with everything I've tested.

Before all these, and even knowing about Affinity, in every painting app that allowed it, I'd just have c anf v keys to increase/decrease, in settings. But well, after very intensive sessions, the Wacom ring configured to not high sensitivity as comes by the default, is by far the fastest.

EDIT: And it is faster for me (the ring) as my (left, in my case) hand is always in that area, anyways, and near also the keyboard, most of the time over it. Dunno, I don't notice the hand "travelling" but my mind having to switch from the usual keys while drawing (Alt is in the pen, as is undo) , that is, ctrl, etc. Same that I don't realize now when am using the mouse to pan and zoom, it became an organic automatic thing...Just like the ring.

With the app and my trick, you could configure one of the two side buttons for several things : brush size, color picker combo --> this button only, etc.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.