You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Super resolution via multiple exposures

Jjpl

But HDR stacking doesn't do much at all to resolution, apart from improving signal to noise ratio. PhotoAcute instead improves resolution (as well as increases number of pixels in the file) and reduces artifacts very significantly. I made a quick test with just three hand held shot raw-images - all viewed at the same enlargement, using nearest neighbour to upsize.

I also tried to abuse the Focus Merge mode, simple stacking with different stacking modes (mean/median etc.) as well as HDR and none of them produced anything anywhere near what I'd call super resolution. HDR produced esily worst results while simple stacking the best, but nowhere near what PhotoAcute did.

Please see below (and at 100% - maybe outside of the web browser as it might do some scaling).

post-45695-0-35582600-1483213631_thumb.png

so top left is PhotoAcute? Can´t see that improvement you're telling....it is just softened, just apply a bilateral blur filter and you get the same result.

The noise in the stacked image looks much more uniform/ controlled than in the top left image.

Yeah stacking improves the signal to noise ratio and works very well. You need about 5 images or more to get good results. I used it myself and got great results.

Of course upscaling using Nearest Neighbor does not work. Don´t upscale your images but improve each pixel itself through stacking.

This actually improves resolution because the same pixels resolve more details because they are more accurate.

Why do you need to upscale at all? All modern cameras have about 20MP and this should really suffice for everything. And if you need more, you probably earn the money to afford another camera.

cheers 

It has much more resolution - notice how the holes in the grill are very well defined.  Also appears soft in appearance as it has practically no aliasing artifacts left. To me personally the biggest advantage of "super resolution" is not the increased resolution but the removal of aliasing and false colour artifacts, both of which are rampant nowdays as the camera manufacturers have mostly eliminated the anti aliasing filters alltogether. Added resoltution is to me largely just a bonus.

You can download a demo version of Photoacute and verify yourself that there is significant increase in resolution. If I have the time I might create a more clear example myself.

How far to you get by upsizing all your shots (still would use a softer bicubic for this, not nearest neighbor) aligning the images (as layers) and then moving one of the layers one pixel (or subpixel if APh can do that), maybe by using the keyboard or something.

Does PhotoAcute work on your raw files or does it work on debayered pixels ?