You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OMG Why are .afphoto file sizes so large?! 36MB Raw to 132MB .afphoto to 3mb

I've read quite a few posts but I still can't find an answer as to how to keep the file sizes down?

I save a lot of files to iCloud and I'm on a 200GB tier but I can't justify upgrading more because AP is being very liberal.

Here's an example I've just noticed with 2 Raw files saved into 1 AFP file as 2 layers:

2 x 18MB raw files = 36MB

Brought them into AFP (1.5 RC5), edited as needed. 

Now I have two layers, no filters, no snapshots, nothing i.e.Two Pixel layers only.

1st Save: 132MB

2nd Save after rasterizing the layers to remove what is not on the canvas:  84MB

3rd Save after resizing canvas to 1600 Px X  2395.6 px 72 dpi (from 2524 px x 3779 px 72DPI): 3.1MB

Edit Undo lat save: 99MB

Move a layer\; 104mb

Move the same layer:109

Mov again: remains at 109mb

Resize document to the same size, ie. Just pressing OK:M144mb

Move layer 87mb

Resuzed 22mb

Clip canvas inc size and got as low as 87mb

Cant get back to 3mb now!!!

Everytime you resize document but dont actually change the values file sizr goes  to a certain point.

AP really does not care much about disk space. It keeps all kinds of history and layer data in file so that editing is as smooth as possible. If you are desperate for space save as may remove some excess data. And if you just want minimum file size just save to JPEG.

odd, I find that my working Photoshop files with many layers (on average) are bigger than equivalent AP files. 

In particular, I have observed the following regarding saving large images to my NAS:

• first time save in Photoshop = (approximately equal amount of time) = first time save in AffinityPhoto
  • secondary saves in Photoshop > (takes much longer than) > secondary saves in Affinity Photo

YMMV

Michael