You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issues with shadows in PDF (AD)

Hi there. This is my first post. First off, I'd like to say that I really enjoy the software. Not quite up there yet with Photoshop et al (I have both Photo and Designer) but very promising and actually usable.

I am designing something for print and everything looks fine in AD, but I have  some weird shadow look going on – see attached image. To me this looks like an involuntary "posterize" effect. It obviously happens when converting the original document to CMYK during PDF creation. If I save as an RGB, the shadow looks fine.

Any idea what to do about this, any workaround?

Dominik

post-41855-0-06855200-1479307649_thumb.png

It's flattening the transparency in a weird way. Can you upload a sample AD file that this happens on?

The below is from a quickie PDF using more or less what you've done. The PDF is zoomed in 400%.

post-255-0-63939700-1479309368_thumb.png

It could be the document resolution, the export resolution or some combination of your shadow settings I am not using.

Mike

Yes, the output was CMYK.

Your design is fine. Seems like you were exporting as a WEB PDF? At least that was what popped up when I went to export it. But a bitmap effect is only really viewable correctly at 100% scale. Once you zoom in, especially if it is a low-res PDF, it will pixelate worse than if the bitmap effects exported at say 300 dpi.

Even so, if the resolution is pumped up, say to 600 dpi like the example below, the resolution is quite good even if I am zoomed into the CMYK PDF 1600%.

post-255-0-19271900-1479327188_thumb.png

Try using the PDF/X-1a profile and don't change anything.

AD has some serious PDF exporting issues with transparency and how that PDF has its transparency flattened. It seems the PDF/X-1a profile works fine. At least the current Windows beta does. But it should have to use PDF/X-1a to do this.

It does produce tagged RGB on those transparent items in accordance with the PDF/X-3 or -4 specifications. Any reasonably modern RIP should flatten it fine. The give-a-heck, though, is for the low-price print establishments or PODs that will reject such a PDF.

Mike

Many thanks, Mike! I solved the problem for now by rasterizing the whole "background" group and leaving only the text layers as they were. Don't want to take chances with the cheap online print place the customer will use.

It would be good to hear from Serif (you don't sound like you work with them) about the topic of PDF profiles, rendering, compatibility.

Nope, I don't work for Serif. They wouldn't hire me if they were paid to. I have issues (and have the t-shirt saying so).

I personally think, as I mentioned above, that there are currently problems with PDF output. I hope they get addressed.

I mainly make stuff for placement into layout applications and need to rely on PDF output for said placing. If I have to jump through hoops to get a PDF to be correct, I simply will use something I don't have to think about to get the desired outcome.

But the same holds true for simple leaflets, fliers and the like that I may choose to use a vector design application for. I don't need to get to the end of a design and need to try 5 different PDF types and their various settings to get one to work and be accepted by the print service.

I'm glad you had a process to get the design out the door.