You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change location of selection marquee as it is made

Greetings! I have just today began working with Affinity Photo (Windows), beta version 1.5.0.35. My platform is Windows 7 Professional.

I rarely use Photoshop. Most of my photo editing is done with the very old Picture Publisher, Version 10.

In Picture Publisher, if I am making a selection marquee (which in that application is also a mask and also a crop frame), I use a mouse left-button drag in the familiar way. If, while making the marquee, I find I want its position (meaning the location of the corner other than the one I am dragging) to be different, I press and hold the right mouse button (in addition to keeping the left button pressed). Then the mouse movement moves the nascent marquee (while its size, for the moment, remains unchanged).

This is an extremely convenient functionality.

The very same functionality is available in CorelDraw (a vector illustration application).

In Photoshop (I have "CS5"), there is a less convenient form of this same functionality. There, to shift to the "mouse changes position" mode while creating a selection marquee or cropping frame, I can press and hold the space bar.

I have not been able to identify any corresponding functionality in Affinity Photo beta 1.5.0.35 for either the selection marquee or the cropping frame.

I would very much like to see this functionality available, preferably in the "right mouse button" form, but if not that, using some other gesture.

And of course if it exists already, I would like to learn of that.

Best regards,

Doug Kerr

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.