You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How long is the Affiinity Designer Windows beta tryout supposed to last?

I downloaded the Windows Affinity Designer beta trial -- I think within the last 2 weeks. (?) I tried it out a couple days ago, then got an email that there was an update, tried to load the update - but the link from the email to the update led to a page that offered it for $49.99. Seems that must have been the Mac version; since the Windows version is in beta.

I have been unable to run the beta at all. A message comes up that says the program has expired. Nor can I buy it, since it's in beta.

This seems strange. Does the Windows Beta version have a fairly short use period? Or did I somehow trip a wire and get linked in as a Mac user, ... ??

​Sharon

Each beta trial version has a moderately short use period (I believe it is 4 weeks from the time of initial release).

However, new versions are released frequently (sometimes the next day, sometimes in a week or so) with bug fixes and improved functionality.

When you run the beta, it will check if a new version is released and inform you. As far as I know, this should not cause the version you are using to expire (that's a set date).

That email and link may possibly have been for a Mac beta update - the new Mac version is also under beta trial.

The newest beta version for Windows (the latest one was released yesterday) is always available from the first post in the top pinned thread in this forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/33-affinity-designer-on-windows-beta/

Download it and install it (it should automatically uninstall an earlier version if it exists, then install the new version).

• Staff

CatLady,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. :)

Obtusity has given you the right answer. Let us know how you get on.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon