You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush stroke lag

1. Hey guys, I have a lag with brush strokes in both Vector and Pixel persona, with both my mouse and tablet. I tried to record it via display capture, but eventhough I turned on "capture cursor", it didn't so you can't see the lag. Instead, I decided to paint it xD

2. Instead of display capture, which records everything you see at any given moment, I like to record/stream via window capture, it perfectly recognizes Affinity, but it doesn't show the canvas. I know this might be related to something called aero? I use Windows 8.1.

So this is how the lag looks like:

- above is when I move the cursor around without putting down a stroke

- below is when I put down a stroke

jFdMZAj.jpg

PS: why is the preview color of the brush, not the same as the selected color? (in this case full black)

You probably have brush nozzle with 50% flow set, this will only put down half the ink per nozzle, which is why the preview is grey, and when you draw a stroke it appears black (that's because multiple grey nozzles have stacked). I'm assuming you're using a raster brush, not a vector brush.

The video capture software you're using probably doesn't support capturing from a Direct3D surface, which is what we use to draw the document. There are applications out there that do support it, I use SnagIt which works fine.

You probably have brush nozzle with 50% flow set, this will only put down half the ink per nozzle, which is why the preview is grey, and when you draw a stroke it appears black (that's because multiple grey nozzles have stacked). I'm assuming you're using a raster brush, not a vector brush.

The video capture software you're using probably doesn't support capturing from a Direct3D surface, which is what we use to draw the document. There are applications out there that do support it, I use SnagIt which works fine.

I see. How about my most important problem, the stroke lag?

I think that the lag you're seeing is just the amount of time it takes to render the brush stroke into the document. I assume the brush strokes always catch up, and you never miss part of a stroke? What size document are you working on?

I've just tried creating the same brush strokes in Photoshop, and we render the brush strokes faster than they do. Have you tried this with Photoshop no your machine?

The size I was working on was 1920 x 1080 at 72.

Yes I tried the same in Photoshop, and also Clip Studio Paint/Manga Studio, Painstorm Studio, and I don't have the issue in any of them.

Is it maybe related to how much RAM AD is using, or at least reserving, or any other sort of operations buffer?

Sometimes a lazy mouse effect is nice and handy, but most of the time I want it spot on my cursor ;)

Can you record another video for me, showing raster brush strokes in Designer and then brush strokes in Photoshop, using the same style brush, same size brush, and same document size please? I'm interested to know the performance difference, as on my machines, we're always faster.

You have my video that clearly shows the render lag, please focus on your own program and not comparing it to others to validate the lag. I don't want AD to be the least render laggy of all tools, I want AD to set their goal at having no render lag at all (at least not noticable ;-)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.