You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is paste problem related to AD memory or to a view?

I've just discovered that unless I have the entire screen (in this case a large map) visible, AD's Paste does not place objects that I have copied exactly in the same location from which I copied them. Is it true that i must have the entire map visible (or at least the area from which I cut the object) for Paste to keep the same location?

If I must have the entire map visible to cut/paste in the exact same location, I wish AD had a warning to remind me to Zoom To Fit. Many of my precisely placed texts are now totally off requiring tons of correcting. I should add that many of these are Artistic texts which were brought from Illustrator into AD as separate SVG letters when I opened the Illustrator doc in AD. These SVGs, however, are properly placed when pasting with the entire map visible.

I'm wonder if this is related to other problems that often come up when I have been using AD intensively for a few hours. AD starts to act strangely, i.e., my keystroke cease to work, selecting objects no longer works, layers of selected object are not in blue nor see as selected on my screen, etc. However, once I quit AD and bring it up again with the same doc, these problems are gone. Thus it must be a memory issue. My solution is to quit AD every hour and bring up the AD doc again.

It is also obvious that using Save As with a new name considerably cuts the size of the doc (e.g., from around 180 mgs to 140 mgs). I realize that this is larger than normal docs. I could break it apart but it's all inner-related. Unlike Illustrator, however, AD's layer and sublayers work extremely well.

Note: Using AD's current beta (1.5.2 Beta 3), OS is El Capitan and have 24 gigs RAM.

Jim, my experience with copying is pretty much the same as yours except that I don't need to have the entire area visible just any part of it, then it goes exactly in the same place as the original.  If the original is totally off the screen then the copy is placed somewhere on the screen, not necessarily in the center either.  Now if you are placing the copy in another drawing, then probably the entire canvas would have to be on screen to have it placed in exactly the same place.  I've never really experimented with that.

I have also found if I want a clean copy of the drawing file (smallest possible) I do a Save as.  FYI this is a query I had made on this issue: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3649-file-size-changes/?hl=file+size

The rest I can't help.  

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.