You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File type not supported

I recently brought Affinity designer to work along side Affinity photo, today I make a very simple text file in designer and then open photo to use the perspective tool but I get this!

Screen_Shot_2016_10_07_at_20_19_35.png

Could this be because I updated Designer yesterday?

Thanks for any help or information.

Affinity photo 1.8.3   Affinity Designer  1.8.3   Affinity publisher 1.8.3 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

• Staff

Hi Tone,

That's because the file format used by Designer 1.5 is more advanced (and incompatible) than the file format used by Affinity Photo 1.4.3, so Photo isn't able to open it.

There will be an update soon for Affinity Photo (to v1.4.4) to make it able to read the new file format implemented in version 1.5 until Affinity Photo 1.5 is ready for release.

Hi Tone,

That's because the file format used by Designer 1.5 is more advanced (and incompatible) than the file format used by Affinity Photo 1.4.3, so Photo isn't able to open it.

There will be an update in a few days for Affinity Photo (to v1.4.4) to make it able to read the new file format implemented in version 1.5 until Affinity Photo 1.5 is ready for release.

As much as I appreciate an update I won't make the same mistake again and in future I will wait until both compatible updates are in place. I do hope the update isn't more than a few days.

I wish I had known as I would have waited for both updates to be ready at the same time because any benefit from an update, in my case, wasn't a benefit at all. 

iMac (Retina 4k,21.5-inch,late 2015) 3.3GHZ Intel core i7, Intel Iris pro Graphics 6200 1536, 16 GB Ram. (not a Mac snob)

• Staff

Hi Tone,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We intended to release both updates at the same time, but due to the crash reports we received about Designer, we decided to delay Photo update a little until we understood what was going wrong (to prevent issues with Photo too). You can install both Designer (1.5.2 Beta 2) and Photo (1.5 Beta 6) to continue your work until the update is ready and exchange files between them without issues.

Hi Tone,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We intended to release both updates at the same time, but due to the crash reports we received about Designer, we decided to delay Photo update a little until we understood what was going wrong (to prevent issues with Photo too). You can install both Designer (1.5.2 Beta 2) and Photo (1.5 Beta 6) to continue your work until the update is ready and exchange files between them without issues.

Not to keen on installing Betas, I'll wait for the photo update and hope you're as good as your word and it's no more than a few days.....

You've got two really good products here and I've already been singing praises to a friend of mine who is now looking into them, of course I will continue to do so despite this hiccup.  

Hi Tone,

There will be an update soon for Affinity Photo (to v1.4.4) to make it able to read the new file format implemented in version 1.5 until Affinity Photo 1.5 is ready for release.

Oh dear I just noticed the change you made to your post, from a few days to, soon...... 

Sorry to bump this but as there is no update to photo at the moment, is there a way to uninstall the designer update?

• 7 months later...

I just ran into a similar problem. I am a new user. I was working on a file and when I hit "Ctrl S" to save, I got an error that ended with "the file must now be closed" and no way to act otherwise. OK, fine, it closed and when I tried to reopen it I got the following error: "Failed to open file. <<file location showed here>> <<Affinity logo>> The file type is not supported."

The file shows the .afdesign extension...so something must have corrupted.

Any way to recover or have I just lost hours of work?

• Staff

JVega - did you not get asked whether you wanted to open a backup file when restarting?

Send me a DropBox link and I'll take a look at the file.

Could you also give me some details about your setup - Mac/Windows? Where did you save the file? USB storage, NAS or a cloud storage?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB