You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open new photos from Mac's Photos app

Mac, OX X, El Capitan.

When I File/Open in Affinity, iPhotos (copied from old Mac) and Photos (new work) are both grayed out and inaccessible. This is where all of my photos are; what am I missing or doing wrong? I've been copying from Photos to desktop and Affinity is fine pulling from the desktop, but that is a very short term fix.

Either use the built-in Media Browser (on the View menu) or from the File > Open dialog, scroll down on the sidebar until you see the "Media" category & choose "Photos" indented below it.

Either way, you will get choices for Photos, iPhoto, and/or any other Apple app that stores photos in special library containers that Apple does not want you to access directly (because doing that can damage the database & other 'housekeeping' files needed to maintain the library).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi CDC127,

Welcome to the forums.

Can you check the following, as sometimes this can also cause the Photos library file to be greyed out. Another option would be to use the Media Browser as R C-R suggested.

The current photos library has to be enabled as the System Photo Library in the Photos Preferences > General.  The option use as System Photo Library should be grayed out in the Preferences panel to indicate it's already set.

Either use the built-in Media Browser (on the View menu) or from the File > Open dialog, scroll down on the sidebar until you see the "Media" category & choose "Photos" indented below it.

Either way, you will get choices for Photos, iPhoto, and/or any other Apple app that stores photos in special library containers that Apple does not want you to access directly (because doing that can damage the database & other 'housekeeping' files needed to maintain the library).

That did it! I didn't have split screen view set, and once I did so I found Media category and could move forward. Thanks much!