You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotating maintains original height/width (etc)

DA 1.5.0.15

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, I couldn't find anything in the forums and the Windows beta help is broken.

When rotating an object, the height and width appear to be linked to the original orientation, not the new one.  For example, a horizontal rectangle that's 50 wide and 10 tall will still be 10 tall when it's rotated 90 degrees.  It's now 50 tall and 10 wide, but AD still shows the original height and width.

This is weird, is it expected behaviour?

Bonus question!

After rotating the same rectangle to, say, 30 degrees, attempts to change the size via the handles will change the height or width relative to the new orientation.  Moving the handles left or right in every other app I've ever used causes the object to expand or shrink relative to the page.  AD changes the size relative to the object's orientation.  

For example, changing the height of the rectangle will change the height at the new 30-degree angle, not vertically against the page orientation.  The newly resized rectangle still has perfectly square corners, where with other apps it would effectively be skewed.

Now, I -like- this, but I can foresee instances where I'd want it to behave more traditionally.  How can I do this?

Thank you, the selection box reset button is a cumbersome (I was hoping for a modifier key) but effective way to do what I wanted.  Un- and re-selecting the object reverts to the previous behaviour, which is excellent.

As for the rotation...  I'm baffled by this.  Once an object is rotated, how can I adjust its size relative to the page with a new height/width value?

ADwhat.png

The Reset Selection Box is still problematic in that it still fails to update when the Reset Selection Box is clicked. Example:

1. Rectangle Tool: Draw a rectangle.

2. Transform Palette: Set its height and width values to 1 in.

3. Transform Palette: Enter a rotation value of 45°.

4. Click the Reset Selection Box button.

The orthogonal rotation box displays, but the width and height values in the Transform palette remain set to 1 in. You have to:

5. Click the Move Tool: Then the values in W and H fields update.

Clicking the Move Tool should not be necessary to cause the values displayed in the Transform palette to update. They should update as soon as the Reset Selection Box is displayed. Understand, I'm not talking about leaving an active field in the Transform palette uncommitted (cursor still in the edit box). Continue:

6. Deselect by clicking the white space.

7. Select the rectangle. Its transformed bounding box returns.

8. Click the Reset Selection Box button.

Again, the temporary un-rotated (orthogonal) Selection Box is displayed, but the values in the Transform palette still show the object's transformed bounding box values (1" in W and H; 45° in R). But this time, you already have the Move Tool selected. So you have to:

9. Switch to the Node Tool

or:

9. Drag the Rectangle a pixel or so with the already selected Move tool...

...in order to get the Transform palette values to update to the measures of the "reset" bounding box which is already displayed.

Again, it should not be necessary to switch to one of the selection tools in order to cause the values in the Transform Palette to update when the orthogonal Selection Box is already displayed.

This latency in updating the Transform palette when the Reset Transform Box is clicked is the problem I was trying to get across in earlier posts about this.

At least, that failure for the Transform values to update as soon as the Reset Transform Box is clicked needs to be fixed. But beyond that (even though it is a separate but related issue), an actual permanent resetting of the bounding box should be possible. I appreciate that Affinity retains the transformed values by default. That is superior to other programs. But one still often desires to deliberately and permanently zero a selection's transform values, and that missing feature should be provided as well.

JET

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.