You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to AD: White outlines on imported vector graphic?

TIA for any help with this. I am brand new to working with vector graphics, as well as all the software I am using.

I used Vector Magic to convert a photo, opened a new document in AD, and use the place image tool to place the vector graphic.

Every element of the graphic (don't know the proper term - every element that is a different color from its surroundings) is outlined in white.

I've seen numerous posts about purple outlines that are removed by unchecking snapping candidates, but I haven't found any explanation for the white outline or how to get rid of it. I'm sure it's something easy and obvious, but I can't figure it out!

• Staff

Hi teddypdx,

Thanks for the file. These "hairlines" around the objects are a side effect of how Affinity (and other software) renders objects on screen. For a detailed explanation please check MattP's reply on this thread.

There's a few ways to reduce this, usually placing an object (with a similar colour) below the foreground objects to reduce the contrast of those hairlines. Another is to add a thin stroke to all objects to cover the edges of the boundaries. In this case since the image is fairly complex i suggest you double click the embedded document on canvas to open it in a new document tab, select all objects and group them ( ⌘ (cmd) + G ), then duplicate this group and move it one pixel to the right and another to the bottom (use the keyboard keys for this) to fill in the gaps. Drag this group to the bottom of the layers panel and close the embedded document tab. The original document should update and the gaps shouldn't be visible anymore.

Wow . . . that second fix sounds so incredibly labor intensive! I appreciate the tips and I will keep that in mind for the future. In the case of this file I put a rectangle of a compatible color behind it and voila - it looks great. Thank you so much.

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

I encountered the same problem which is far more important if you are an architect, who has to deal all the time with imported pdf files for producing flor plans for competitions and so on.. 

Here´s the link to the thread  and the solution that came around for me..  Its still a fix..  but much more efficient thant   MEB´s    i think...      O.o