You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke in a polygon with artistic text

Just a simple question:

It is possible to give a stroke to a polygon, say a circle for example, that have artistic text applied?

I had to duplicate the circle to get a stroke.

See the image

post-186-0-51810200-1471907881_thumb.png

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

• Staff

I don't think that's possible at the moment - I think we decided the UI would be too confusing as you need to be able to specify the stroke style of the text and you also want to specify the stroke of the path, so we decided it was just more clear if we didn't allow it...

We're definitely open to considering a solution if anyone has one?

Thanks,

Matt

Maybe if is text is selected the stroke is applied to the text. If the circle is selected, the stroke is applied to the line of the circle?

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

Actually there is a pattern for this in the gradient fill tool. When using this on a shape, there is a small dropdown on the tool bar named "Context", where one can set if the gradient should be applied to either fill or outline.

Would it be feasible to extend "Context" dropdown with options: Text fill, Text outline, Shape fill, Shape outline? Gradient fill tool has also the option to use solid color, instead of a gradient, so this might work. Of course, the Stroke pane should also reflect this setting (in order to properly set either text stroke or shape stroke properties).

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• Staff

We've actually been chatting in the office about this earlier - in the future we may allow for text items to have children which they can elect to flow within (act as frames) or around (act like path text) and as these would be visible in the Layers panel, you could select them and just manipulate them just like any other objects... That way would be the most hierarchical, extensible model we can think of... But we'll keep thinking :)

We've actually been chatting in the office about this earlier - in the future we may allow for text items to have children which they can elect to flow within (act as frames) or around (act like path text) and as these would be visible in the Layers panel, you could select them and just manipulate them just like any other objects... That way would be the most hierarchical, extensible model we can think of... But we'll keep thinking :)

This sounds great! Essentially, an artist text could have a background, too (if I understand correctly). That would be sweet :)

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.