You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap to nodes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Which tool are you using?  The node tool?

Currently, in the Beta we only have object bounds snapping.  There is some more experimental snapping that we haven't enabled in the Beta.  I will be doing some more work on snapping shortly.

The biggest problem with snapping is making it powerful, but without making it overcomplicated.  We added snapping candidates in order to limit the pool of objects that can be snapped to on spread.  Snapping bounding boxes is easy - but things get more complicated when you start snapping complex geometry.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Thanks Matt.

Ben,

Yes, i'm using the node tool.

I think i have an idea of what you're trying accomplish. I already checked all the snapping options and everything else in the Help about it. I think snapping candidates is a great idea because we can actually pick another shape just hovering it if needed. Seems there are projection lines and other advanced features in development too which is great :)

But what i´m talking about here is simply the ability to drag a node from one shape (with the node tool) and place it precisely over another node in a different shape. I need it to snap to the nodes of the second shape.

What i want to accomplish is an intersection (or other bolean operation) between two shapes where one of them have some nodes placed exactly over the nodes of the other, so i can get a clean result after the boolean operation. Otherwise i will get additional useless nodes...

If you check Illustrator for example, you will see that while i drag a node from one shape A over another shape B with the direct selection tool, it is able to snap to every single node that shape B contains (although it doesn't highlight the nodes, you can see it snaps to them). There's no complex geometry here. It is just using existing nodes that conforms the shape and snapping to them. 

• Staff

We do have the ability to achieve that, direct node to node snapping, but it's currently part of the advanced snapping options (currently disabled).

I am currently addressing snapping in general.  Just added snapping to the Fill tool.  The Node tool is next on my list, and I'll see if I can separate node to node snapping from the other complex functions.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

I already suspected that what i'm suggesting would be possible someday. The Help have some hints about it and mentions "Vector objects will automatically have snapping points assigned to them. These are generally the vector shape's nodes.". But since i consider this a basic snap feature, i was a little worried about why it wasn't working yet. Now i know that's integrated with the advanced snap object geometry and will be available when completed. That's all i needed to ear. No more worries. 

Thanks for addressing this Ben.