You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lag in designer (windows) after last update?

Hey anybody else got any lag introduced with the latest version of affinity designer on windows?

Whenever I open a file, the first time I select an operation, let's say double click to edit text or double click to edit nodes, I get a considerable lag spike and app freeze for like 10-20 seconds that shouldn't exist given my hardware, and I tried it again with task manager open and didn't see anything special like chocking a CPU core or anything, so it seems like a software level chock.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff

@nitro912gr Do you have a sample document this seems to occur with or a screen recording?

Is Hardware Acceleration enabled/disabled within the apps Settings > Performance?

Can you confirm your Windows version and spec of your system?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Lee D said:

@nitro912gr Do you have a sample document this seems to occur with or a screen recording?

Is Hardware Acceleration enabled/disabled within the apps Settings > Performance?

Can you confirm your Windows version and spec of your system?

Hello and thanks for your response.

Evey document does that, even in a new one.

Hardware acceleration is disabled because of my older GPU (GCN 1).

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎4/‎1/‎2024
OS build    19045.4291
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

The rest of the System:

CPU R5 5500

2X 8GB DDR4 2666 RAM

Mobo Asus with B450

OS and Apps on M.2 nVme Crucial P3 1TB

have a couple more drives but are only for storage and not working any files from there.

After I posted this it also started hanging on startup with 20% usage of CPU just to open designer, not to open any file.

At first I suspected the high amount of fonts but this lag in tools happens even if I make a box and convert to curves.

Also tried with fonts disabled, same lag in opening and while selecting tools in the doc. After the first time it goes away but there is just a bit of activity in the CPU and that's it, no reading from any disk or anything.

Also the % of CPU may change, one time I open and it goes 20% and still hangs for 10-20s, the other time it may be at 10%.

As I said this was not present since the very last update I got. Since it updated in app I think I have installed the msix version of designer.

edit: this is not happening in my home system that is similar, but I don't know right now which windows version it have. It have slower SATA m.2 crucila, slower DDR4 (still 2X 8GB ) but a much more powerfull RX 5500XT 4GB as a GPU.

I will also test in my laptop later which have an AMD APU 5425U I think.

Edited by nitro912gr

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10