You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Split Toning Causes Affinity Photo to Hang

Applying the 'Highlights' or 'Shadows' Saturation Sliders to an image using a 'Split Toning...' Adjustment Layer in the Photo Persona of Affinity Photo causes Photo to hang requiring a Force Quit...

It appears to be working without issue in Photo's Develop Persona, Designer, Publisher and the Designer and Photo Personas of Publisher...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi Hangman,

Do you have a file you can replicate this with please? I've tried it on both Sonoma and Monterey (via Parallels) and applied it to both an opened JPG and a placed one and cannot replicate it.

Hi @Sean P,

For me, it's happening with any and every image regardless of file format...

It's slightly more strange... when initially attempting to adjust the Split Toning Highlights or Shadows sliders, I can't move either beyond 0%, i.e., the sliders simply won't slide and I get the Affinity Photo 2 Beta (not responding message)...

But I've now noticed that if I leave it a few seconds it will recover and then the sliders are working...

This (for me) is unique to the Photo 2.5 Beta and happens with all images but only in Photo's Photo Persona...

Happy to send a sample image if still relevant, just let me know...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

• Staff

That is very strange! I've tried it again both on Monterey (and can confirm the ruler issue doesn't affect that!) and Sonoma with still no luck. I'm wondering if its related to hardware - do you know what display adapter your Mac uses? Mine is an AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT.

Also are you able to get a Spindump and Sample Process from Activity Monitor when its in that hung state please?

Hi @Sean P,

9 minutes ago, Sean P said:

I'm wondering if its related to hardware

I don't know why I didn't check before but yes, it appears to be specifically related to Hardware Acceleration in Photo only... Note: with Hardware Acceleration enabled in Publisher and Designer I don't have the issue... Having just tested I'm seeing the same issue in v2.4.2 when HA is enabled...

21 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Do you know what display adapter your Mac uses?

Mine uses an AMD Radeon R9 M370X display adapter on the PCIe Bus with a built-in Intel Iris Pro...

Something odd/interesting I've only just spotted which may be completely irrelevant and by design is that in Photo, unchecking HA enables the Display Dropdown where I can choose between 'Software' 'Open GL (Basic)', 'OpenGL' and 'Metal'. Regardless of which Display option is selected, enabling HA greys the Display option out and selects Metal as the Display option, whether it is actually using Metal at that point I have no idea...

If I do the same in Designer and Publisher, enabling HA leaves the Display Dropdown enabled and I can select and switch between any of the available options. Is this expected?

Spindump and Sample Process attached

Spindump.txt

Sample of Affinity Photo 2 Beta.txt

Hi @Sean P,

Just doing a quick follow-up to let you know that I'm no longer experiencing this issue in the v2.5.0 (2415) Beta so I don't know if anything changed internally...

• Staff
15 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Sean P,

Just doing a quick follow-up to let you know that I'm no longer experiencing this issue in the v2.5.0 (2415) Beta so I don't know if anything changed internally...

Nothing that I'm aware of - I was actually still awaiting a response about this issue, but glad to hear its no longer an issue for you! Though it does still concern me what was causing it :(

Hi @Sean P,

Likewise, it seems like a very odd issue… I’ll keep an eye on it and update the thread if I see a repeat of the problem…