You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening Book Chapters in the Wrong Order

I'm unsure whether this would be considered expected behaviour or should be listed as a bug...

Opening a .afbook file provided by another user where the files have been saved using 'Save as Package...' can result in a broken link between the .afbook file and its associated chapters. Subsequently, on opening the .afbook file we are presented with the Missing Chapter(s) pop-up...

MissingChapters.png.03fd4e4a8fe2dc8729fd796a38b1d6f0.png

Selecting 'Yes' takes you to the Finder (on Mac), Explorer (on Windows) allowing you to select the appropriate missing chapters. If you're not paying particularly close attention you can easily miss the file path listed at the top of the Finder window (I'm unsure where the file path appears on Windows)...

Finder.thumb.png.2b3d5b24c20b03b01f97a8d78935d037.png

and without thinking can mistakenly select the first file shown in the Finder window 'assuming' that in doing so all Missing Chapter(s) in the .afbook file will be automatically identified and loaded much like in Resource Manager when re-linking missing assets.

Admittedly one can put this down to user error, however, if the wrong file(s) are selected, e.g., you're not paying attention to the file listed and end up selecting files in the order shown in the Finder instead, when all chapters have been successfully opened in Publisher double-clicking them in the Books panel will then select the wrong tab, i.e., the incorrect .afpub file is now associated with the chapters listed in the Books panel...

It feels as though this 'behaviour' should be flagged with a file mismatch error message to prevent this but equally, maybe this is expected behaviour and would/should be considered 'user error' rather than a bug...

Curious to know opinions on this and whether it works the same way on Windows...

Note how selecting chapters in the incorrect order in the Finder results in the 'wrong' chapter being associated with the chapter selected in the Books panel despite this being the actual chapter selected in the Finder...

It feels that this has the potential to lead to bigger issues when syncing and exporting chapters and chapter selection should throw up an error if there is a mismatch between the filename requested and the file selected...

Result of inadvertently selecting incorrect chapters in the Finder and then double-clicking chapters in the Books panel...

Note how double-clicking the chapter in the Books panel selects the incorrect tab despite being the associated file selected in the Finder...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @Hangman,

Thanks for bringing this up.

I was pretty sure this rang a bell with me and I've just found the original bug report (AFB-5840) :) This was a bug logged in a very early version of Affinity V2 and was fixed.  So looks like this is a regression, sadly the bug report doesn't say what the fix was, so I'll need to do a bit of digging here.  Let me find out when this regressed and I'll get the issue reopened and also confirm the expected behavior  :) 

Hi @stokerg,

I wasn't aware this had been logged previously so many thanks for checking and digging. I'd not checked in earlier v2 versions but I only have v2.0.4 but it would be good to know which version the bug was initially fixed in and when it regressed...  :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse