You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo V2 Newest version. Locks when choosing swatch.

I am using Mac OS 14.4.1 on a Macbook Air M2.

I just updated Photo V2 to the newest..and selected one of my swatches, and got the beachball. It's been five minutes, and Affinity hasn't responded, and Force quit. Reopened Photo V2 and the same file. Chose the same swatch library and a different swatch..locked up again.

Havent had any issues before updating. Seems to be a problem now.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 21.35.52.png

Edited by Sukavi
Clarified title

Did a restart of the computer. Had the same problem. I guess I will use Time Machine to roll back to the previous version so I can keep working until this issue is fixed.

So I opened the same file and kept having the same issue any time i chose a color swatch in Affinity Photo v2.

I then rolled back to using version 2.4.1 of Affinity Photo. I am still having that issue. This wasnt happening all day while using the app. After I updated to 2.4.2 i got that lock up when choosing a swatch.  Now I see its just on this one file. Is it because that was opened in 2.4.1 and then I updated the app, and opened it again in 2.4.2? I am confused why this file seems to be currupted now.

Hi @Sukavi,

Are you able to upload the file in question so we can take a look at what might be going on?

If it's a file you'd rather not upload to the public forums you can request a private Dropbox link by replying to this message and someone in the moderation team will respond...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

I rolled back to yesterdays version of the file and it seems to work.  i feel like having that open while updating did something. its strange. I can provide the file privately for someone to check, yes.  I dont have or use Dropbox. If i can upload without an account. I can also provide a link to download it. Please let me know.

Hi @Sukavi,

You can either request a private Dropbox link by replying to this message and then someone from Serif's moderation team will pick this thread up and provide a link for you or feel free to DM me a link and I'd be happy to take a look to see if I see the same issue...

Is the swatch or swatches causing the issue from a default swatches palette (and if so which one) or a palette you've created yourself? If the latter could you include that as well...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

3 hours ago, Hangman said:

Hi @Sukavi,

You can either request a private Dropbox link by replying to this message and then someone from Serif's moderation team will pick this thread up and provide a link for you or feel free to DM me a link and I'd be happy to take a look to see if I see the same issue...

Is the swatch or swatches causing the issue from a default swatches palette (and if so which one) or a palette you've created yourself? If the latter could you include that as well...

It was happening with Default and custom swatches.

Hi @Sukavi,

I've installed all the fonts used and have been working with your file for around an hour, but thus far I've not experienced any lockups when applying swatches.

Is this happening to you when working with any particular fighter plane layer/s or randomly regardless of the layer you're working on? The only thing I can think of for now is to uninstall all the fonts in your file and see whether you see the same issue. If you don't, add them back one by one to see if any of the fonts may be causing the lockup.

I've downloaded the fonts from various different sources so even though they are all recognised by your file, we may be using different versions of the same fonts.

In the meantime, I'll keep testing to see if I can replicate the problem you're seeing...

Well, thank you for the check. I've been working with that file for a couple of months. In the last couple of weeks, haven't changed any fonts, etc. Hmmm. i will see what happens with font changes.

The issue happens regardless of what layer I am on.

ok. so i though i would open up a Designer file. and that went tits up too.

hmmm. This is a big problem now. I need to get work done and suddenly things are broken. I dont know what that update did but after that everything started having issues. How exactly can i figure this out? is there a way to do a clean install of the app? i dont want to but..what are the options?

10 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

Well, thank you for the check. I've been working with that file for a couple of months. In the last couple of weeks, haven't changed any fonts, etc. Hmmm. i will see what happens with font changes.

In which case I very much doubt this is a font issue... I assume the Affinity apps aren't actually crashing and creating crash reports but simply hanging resulting in you having to Force Quit?

Do you have Hardware Acceleration Enabled in the Photo and Designer Performance Settings, if you do, try unchecking this option and rebooting Photo/Designer to see if you see the same issue and if you do still get the freeze could you upload a screenshot of your Performance Settings so we can take a look?

Posted (edited)

So i turned off the HArdware acceleration..and same issue. I also deactivated a font I installed the other day. But not sure why that would be an issue as I used that font and things have been working. The only thing that changed was I clicked that damn update button.

Here is a screen shot of my settings (before I turned off Hardware accel)

Also, yes they arent crashing, they are hanging for infinity (well for an abnormally long time)

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 18.07.18.png

Edited by Sukavi
added info

How much RAM do you have installed on your Mac?

Does selecting 'Use only integrated GPU' make any difference?

my hackintosh (with 24 gigs of memory and 8gig for GPU) is currently running mojave because i am using photoshop cs6. I cant use affinity apps on Mojave apparently. so i have been using my M2 Macbook air.it only has 8gigs of memory.  i worked on larger files without any issues all week.  I know I keep harping on it, but as soon as I updated, I had the issue.

I am seeing this error in the console.

error    18:36:19.182913+0900    Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store    Unable to open mach-O at path: <private>  Error:2
fault    18:36:19.196300+0900    Affinity Designer 2 Affinity Store    FAULT: <private> determined it was necessary to configure <private> to support remote view vibrancy
error    18:36:19.575011+0900    mdworker_shared    All kCFPreferencesCurrentUser domains in this process will be volatile, because homeDirPath starts with /var/empty

I've tried selecting swatches first when opening the file in both Photo and Designer and still see no hang so it may be specific to your M2... which version of macOS are you running?

I think someone in the Moderation team will need to take a look so they can test further on a range of different machines.

Whoever picks up this thread can provide a private Dropbox link for you to upload your file or they may ask you to DM them the link you DM'd me...

Hopefully, the moderation team will be able to replicate the issue and track down possible causes as in is certainly an unusual one...

Okay, so I've now managed to replicate the issue...

Initially, it seems to relate to the 'Colours' Swatches, i.e., the default 'Colours' Swatches palette in the Affinity Apps.

Despite having the Colour Swatches panel set to be the default palette for RGB/8 files every time I opened your file it defaulted to a different swatches panel which appeared above it alphabetically in my swatches list. I've just deleted the other palette so the Colour Swatches palette is now the first in the list.

Now when I open your file I see exactly the same issue in both Photo and Designer, an instant hang when selecting a swatch from the Colour Swatches panel.

Edit: It's not the 'Colours' palette, I can now replicate this every time I open the file so something else is going on here which will require some additional testing...

Maybe related 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39616667/nsremoteview-generates-a-strange-message-in-the-log

could be a permission issue for sandboxed applications to read files

nothing for users to do.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

So I think I've figured out what is going on after much experimentation...

Basically, you have a lot of very complex Groups containing many layers in your file and when you open the file with any of the Groups selected in the Layers Panel and then select a swatch, Photo and Designer attempt to fill all the complex layers within the selected Group with that swatch colour but owing to the complexity of the Group it hangs...

To prove the point, open the file, then CMD Click the selected Group in the Layers panel so it's no longer selected and you should see that selecting any swatch now works as expected, select one of the complex Groups in the Layers panel and then try and select a swatch and the app will hang.

This is also bourne out in your screen recording, the times where it hangs is when you have a complex Group selected in the Layers panel and the times where it doesn't hang is when you have a non-complex empty pixel layer selected in Layer 4.

ok. so...its the Layer groups. I wonder why that wasnt happening before? Is there something to turn off that prevents that auto filling? I noticed that behavior when i started using the App. It is handy, but sometimes it is annoying that selecting a swatch will change the stroke or fill. I was working with a much larger file and experienced no problems before. Maybe its just a coincidence.

I didn't think those groups were complex. I appreciate you sticking with this problem and helping me figure out what is going on.

11 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

ok. so...its the Layer groups. I wonder why that wasnt happening before?

I expect it's pure coincidence, I think until you realise what's causing the issue in the first place you're not so focused on what's selected...

24 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

I didn't think those groups were complex.

They're not massively complex but there are a lot of nested layers and a lot of the layers exceed the canvas size. I tried Rasterise & Trim with all layers that exceeded the canvas size in the damaged Group but it made no difference when selected the Group is still too 'involved' (for want of a better word) for a swatch to be applied without the app hanging...

28 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

Is there something to turn off that prevents that auto filling?

There isn't other than Deselect in Designer or Deselect Layers in Photo, both of which you can apply a keyboard shortcut for so your best bet is probably Cmd Clicking the selected layer in the Layers panel but it would certainly be handy if there were some way to prevent auto-filling...

39 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

I appreciate you sticking with this problem and helping me figure out what is going on.

That's no problem at all, it was starting to baffle me as well, one minute it would work and the next it wouldn't until I realised why...