You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping mask does not include stroke

Hi There,

I am making an illustration with a girl facing a fountain. I want the tip of her feet and her hand immersed into the water, as you can see on picture 1.

So, I made a clipping mask, but I noticed  it does not include the outline stroke (see pic enclosed 2 and 3).

I have 2 questions:

1=>Is there a way to include the outline stroke into the clipping? 

2=> Can you make a clipping mask on a group (instead of layer one by one)? 

Many thanks for your help.

Delphine  

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

5 minutes ago, delphine said:

1=>Is there a way to include the outline stroke into the clipping?

Expand the stroke via ‘Operations > Expand Stroke’ on the Edit (‘…’) menu, and then Boolean ‘Add’ the expanded stroke to the filled shape.

8 minutes ago, delphine said:

2=> Can you make a clipping mask on a group (instead of layer one by one)?

Not currently, no. It’s on at least one wish list!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

thanks @Alfred

But it seems not working, as you can see on the pic. Is there another way?

To make the clipping I dragged the layer called "water on feet" down the parent layer called "upper arm". Then I expanded the stroke on the edit menu and Added (see picture).

image.thumb.png.229607c788d2edba8a88debb50ad8b2e.pngThanks

del

25 minutes ago, delphine said:

To make the clipping I dragged the layer called "water on feet" down the parent layer called "upper arm". Then I expanded the stroke on the edit menu and Added (see picture).

I’m not sure why you have “water on feet” as a child of “upper arm”, Del, but the other thing I see in your Layers Studio is that you only have that one layer selected. If that’s because you’ve already added the expanded stroke, it might be helpful if you could go back a step.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks @Alfred

So I enclosed 2 pictures:

>> The first one (Picture 1) is the result I am aiming to achieve: The water cover the layers called "Upper arm", "Right hand" and "Lower leg". On this specific picture i didn't make a clipping. I simply made the anchor point of the water match with the 3 layers mentioned. Even though it works, it takes too long, and I still need to learn how works the clipping mask on stroke as I will use it a lot in my illustration. 

>> In order to make the clipping (Picture 2), I dragged the layer called "water on feet" under the upper arm, and I need to repeat the same operation for the right hand and lower leg. But after following the instruction, I didn't see any difference as the clipping only include the fill. 

If I understood the tutorial I watched, to make a clipping you need to drag the layer you want to clip under the parent layer. And so far it works. My only issue is that is doesn't encompass the outline stroke.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Staff

Hi Delphine,

If possible could you provide a copy of the file in question so I can look into this further with you?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.