You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for workflow advice - making an artist portfolio

Hallo all

I'm looking to make an artist portfolio for myself. But I'm having some difficulties with the PDF's file size. I have a bunch of different photos, some that are very large and others that are smaller in terms of file size. But since it's an artist portfolio, it's important that the resolution is high. But the resulting PDF is huge and some of the opportunities I want to apply to specific that the portfolio shouldn't be bigger than 10MB

1. What are the advantages of first processing the photos in Affinity Photo (cropping and downsampling) and then placing them in Publisher? It'd be easier for me to always work in Publisher to be able to make adjustments and using the vector crop feature on the fly. 
2. What are the best settings for the PDF export? This will be likely seen on a monitor rather than printed. 

I'm a little confused about the downsample images larger than... setting. Does it make sense to always set the value the same as the Document's DPI?

• Staff

Hi @VinylDinosaur,

On 3/29/2024 at 12:29 PM, VinylDinosaur said:

1. What are the advantages of first processing the photos in Affinity Photo (cropping and downsampling) and then placing them in Publisher? It'd be easier for me to always work in Publisher to be able to make adjustments and using the vector crop feature on the fly. 

There aren't really any that i can think of.  As you have access to Publisher and Photo, you can just work inside in Publisher and switch to the Photo Persona when needed.

2. What are the best settings for the PDF export? This will be likely seen on a monitor rather than printed. 

This is a tricky one to answer and there isn't a one size fits all answer.  Exporting using one of the digital Presets (Digital small or High Res) should be enough for viewing on screen.  The digital small preset will give you the smallest PDF.

I'm a little confused about the downsample images larger than... setting. Does it make sense to always set the value the same as the Document's DPI?

Ideally, you want to set that higher than your current documents DPI.  Play around and check the quality of the export on screen and see what suits your work best :)