You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - adding adjustment preset with a mask

I know I can do the following with the shadow/highlight adjustment, but this is more a general question.

I have a Brightness/Contrast adjustment and added a luminosity filter for the dark areas so I can brighten them up.  I add a preset with the adjustment/mask combination. When I then use the preset the mask has gone and the adjustment is applied to the full image.

The same seems to be happening if I use the adjustment's Blend options "Source Layer Ranges".  When saving the preset and then using it the blend options are reset and the adjustment is applied to the whole image.

So, is it possible to save an adjustment with a mask (luminosity/hue/band-pass)?  Should I create a macro instead? Are there other options?

Thanks.

Affinity Photo (v2.4.2) - desktop Dell Precision 3450 - Windows 10 pro - i9-11900 - 16GBRAM - NVIDIA-T600

Have you tried to store the combination of adjustment + mask in the Asset panel?

If it doesn't work you might check the thread below and/or its included links to related topics.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks for your reply, Thomas.

Yes, I can save it as an asset and it works fine.  The asset panel, unfortunately, only 'shows' it as as a blank square, i.e. it's invisible, unless you hover the mouse over it, then the name of the adjustment shows up.   I'll check to see if there is a setting to show the asset names in the asset panel. 

Affinity Photo (v2.4.2) - desktop Dell Precision 3450 - Windows 10 pro - i9-11900 - 16GBRAM - NVIDIA-T600

• Staff

I excluded the mask when adding adjustment presets because at the time I felt that the mask would be intrinsically linked to the source document and not much use in other documents - and if we did save them, we would need to deal with applying the preset to other documents of differing sizes.

It can certainly be done, but I'd like to understand your intended use a bit more before committing to adding it.

A

I agree, normal masking would be image specific.  But Luminosity/hue/band-pass masks are applied differently.

In my case, I took some photos in a cave, stitched them with Microsoft ICE and processed them with APh. For all images I used the luminosity mask on the brightness/contrast adjustment to brighten up the distant, darker areas, because I could refine the brighten effects with more control than I could with the shadow/highlights adjustment.

I then copied and pasted that adjustment+mask to all the other cave images, which worked fine.

2024-02-29_CaveStream_11.jpg