You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default place location impacted by export

I think there are three issues with Affinity's default file locations, at least on macOS. I know everybody keeps asking for a way to set the default locations manually and while I'd like to be able to manually set the defaults, I do like the automatic file locations and appreciate how it was designed. But these issues make it frustrating and perhaps fixing them would reduce the requests for a preferences option.

1. Create a document and choose Save - select folder 1A
  2. Choose Place - it defaults to folder 1A but save to folder 1B
  3. If you choose Save As it default to 1A and if you choose Place it defaults to folder 1B - good
  4. Choose Export - it defaults to folder 1B but export to folder 1C
  5. Choose Place - it defaults to folder 1C - I think this is a bug, exporting resets the import location - switch back to 1B
  6. Choose Place - it defaults to folder 1B because you just reset the default location for placing - good
  7. Choose Export - it defaults to folder 1C - the export location really is separate from the place location

I think the above is a bug, exporting changes the default location for placing which it shouldn't do. It doesn't seem like this is how you intended it to work.

1. Choose Place and switch back to 1B
  2. Leave Document 1 open and create Document 2
  3. Choose Save - it defaults to 1A which is good - switch to 2A
  4. Choose Place - it defaults to 2A - switch to 2B
  5. Choose Export - it defaults 1C - this is inconsistent, if Place defaulted to 2A, Export should, too - switch to 2C
  6. Choose Place - it defaults to 2C - switch to 2B so that all of the locations are set correctly
  7. Switch to Document 1
  8. Choose Save As - it defaults to 2A instead of 1A where the document is located

I think the above is a bug because the save as location for Mac apps is supposed to default to the document's current location, but if this is how it's intended to work it really should be changed

1. Choose Place - it defaults to 2A instead of 1B (which the user would want) or 2B (which would at least be consistent with Save As)
  2. Choose Export - defaults to 2C instead of 1C (which the user would want) - at least it's consistent

The above may be design issues and not bugs but I think each document should have its own save, place, and export locations. It's difficult to work productively on two documents with resources stored in different locations because each time you choose Place you never know where it's going to default to, and it's confusing if each document has a similar folder structure.

Thank you

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)