You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo : Filters>Procedural Texture bug on French MacOS version

Hi guys,

I was learning from this video how to turn a colored photo into a grayscale one with formulas :

The issue here is that when I try to insert equation like (R+B+V)/3 on R,V & B channels (the result should be grayscaled), the filter previews the original image, so no corrections !

The presets seems to work like a charm though...

Sorry if I'm wrong here, but it looks like it's a bug for me. I provide 2 examples.

Thanks,

Roderic, France.

Capture d’écran 2024-03-19 à 11.25.44.png

Capture d’écran 2024-03-19 à 11.27.07.png

Hi @Roderic and welcome to the forums,

I'm not seeing any issues here with Procedural Texture and I can't see anything wrong in your screengrab so I don't believe this is a bug... Would you be able to make a quick screen recording showing how you run through the steps just so we can see if there is anything obvious going on here that we may be missing...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @Roderic,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm I'm able to replicate this here- it appears as though the application is expecting the procedural texture to use 'RGB' based formulae, even when the UI is set to French language and shows canal vert :

I'm a little unsure if this is expected behaviour at this time - as I can see why a user would expect 'RVB' to be used based on the channel options in the Procedural Textures dialog, however as Procedural Textures also support custom variables (including the letter 'V'), I can partially understand why the behaviour is as shown above.

Therefore I'm going to raise this with our development team now, and log it as a bug if they confirm it as such.

In the meantime, if you use 'G' in place of 'V' in your equations, you should find this works as shown in the tutorial!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!