You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apps don't auto resize expanded layout (downsize) after unplugging from larger display monitor.

I Use all three Affinity apps on a 2019 15" MacBook Pro. Sometimes I just use the laptop screen, other times I plug into a larger display monitor through HDMI and move everything out to utilize the larger screen area. If I resize any of the apps to the larger monitor and then unplug and go back to just my laptop the screens remain where they were placed and sized in relation to the external monitor. Super annoying as sometimes the app is completely out of the viewing area on my laptop. If I was using it on the right side of the monitor (default placement is upper left corner), or it's been left expanded to the larger monitor you end up seeing just a fraction of the app on the laptop, which then you're stuck fiddling around trying to grab edges just so you shrink or move things around to fit back into the 15" screen area.

Restart app or MacBook does not fix or reset. Using layout profiles doesn't make anything any better either. I haven't used Adobe apps for awhile, but if I recall they auto resized if you unplugged from a larger monitor. 

Would be nice to see if Dev could fix this or is there an easy work around I'm missing? 

–Cheers 

Edited by AnonD
grammar

• Staff

Hi @AnonD,

Thanks for your report! It sounds as though you are experiencing the below, known issue - 

Hopefully you should find that using Window > Zoom correctly returns the full Affinity app to your main display, when unplugging from your external monitor.

Our team are working to fix this for a future update, as we would expect the window to automatically resize based on the currently available display(s).

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Yep, that's exactly what happens. It's a pain because there's often no part of the app to click on to drag, move or resize the canvas and pallets. Resetting is no fun because I spend a lot of time setting up things for optimal use and placement. Hope Dev is able to code in an update. Thanks for the advice. 👍

1 hour ago, AnonD said:

It's a pain because there's often no part of the app to click on to drag, move or resize the canvas and pallets

Does Window > Zoom help you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/19/2024 at 6:59 AM, walt.farrell said:

Does Window > Zoom help you?

Just tried it ... yes, it worked. Click it once it shrinks to fit within the screen, click it again and it expands back to how it was stretched out. View > Zoom was not an option but in that screenshot you can see how the app is outside the screen viewing area versus Window > Zoom it's back inside. Decent work-around for now. 👍

affinity-zoom yes.jpg

affinity-zoom no.jpg