You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why does my Xencelabs Pen's eraser not work automaticlly like an eraser?

When I'm in Affinity Photo 2.4, I can draw with the nib of my Xencelabs Pen, but if I turn it over to the Eraser side, it still draws, but it should erase. Is there a solution for this? 

Welcome to the forums @Mike617,

You may need to set up your "Xencelabs Pen" to make the other end work as an eraser. I am completly ignorant of Xencelabs Pen's functionality so sorry I can't be of more help. It would also help if you were to mention what OS (Mac or Windows and OS number) you are using.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tested with both Mac 14 and Windows 11 using the current Xencelabs driver. 

As you can see in the image below, I have added Affinty to the Application row in my Xencelabs Settings panel, and the Eraser is set to Eraser. 

The image below is from my Windows 11 Pro computer. 

I did not find any setting other than selecting Wintab or Windows Ink in the Edits menu within Affinty Photo. Do you have any other suggestions? 

image.png.dea2675002e8c50888481fef4bfe79e2.png

Maybe there is a conflict with the top button also being set to the Eraser and using the keyboard shortcut (e) for shortcut. I just don't know for sure.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

What I discovered with my old Wacom Intuos 3, is so long as I'm using a Paintbrush, I can use the eraser end to erase. No need to change to the Eraser tool. However when trying to use it with Masks, it doesn't work. I run into the same problem as @Mike617.

For the Eraser end of the pen to work as an Eraser;

• It needs to be set in the Pen/Tablet Properties to Erase
  • Need to be painting/brushing on a Empty Pixel Layer
  • Erasing on a Pixel (picture, image) will erase the pixels.
  • Using it on a Mask it will do the same as Painting with a Black (or White) brush

I don't know if it's by design or a bug.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD